Are you a LURKER? - Page 9 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

View Poll Results: Why I don't post on Fauna
I'm new to reptiles & don't want to look stupid 37 15.95%
I don't have time to post on forums - you guys need to get a life 7 3.02%
You people are mean, rude, or just generally not nice 25 10.78%
I posted once, but got ignored 19 8.19%
Everytime I think of something to say, somebody beats me to it 36 15.52%
I know more about reptiles than any of you people 13 5.60%
I want to post, but can't figure out how 3 1.29%
I only browse forums when I am bored & need entertainment 36 15.52%
I don't know how to post pics 4 1.72%
All my reptiles keep dying, and I don't want anyone to know 1 0.43%
Other 86 37.07%
What are you talking about? I post all the time 34 14.66%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-13-2010, 08:44 PM   #81
99SS#20
I've had trouble getting responses and many of the questions asked seem to be replied to with a lot of venom.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:14 PM   #82
Utta
I tend to post on topics I feel that could benefit from my opinion. Or if I'm inquiring about an animal I might be intrested. The poll doesn't really have a suitable option for me hence me not voteing its also hard sometimes because the site isn't always mobil friendly (wich I am ok with and not complaining about) but its still my favorite website, I love "lurking" and educating myself from other peoples posts. Just my .02 thanks to all the mods <3

Old 02-15-2010, 05:58 PM   #83
snowgyre
I think whether you're a lurker or not is dependent on how you use the site. In general, I use this site far more for the BOI, window shopping, and selling animals than I do for the forums.

But when I do peruse the forums, replies are often a "I am better than thou art" mentality, and there tends to be a lot of angst and hard feelings that I'd rather not be a part of. If someone has a question, I'll do my best to give them an honest answer, but most of the time someone else has either beaten me too it or some snarky comment has been made that I decide it's best not to fuel the fire.

The kind of mentality I'm talking about can actually be seen with the choices in this poll, which I didn't vote on because I felt people were being led into one answer or another. For example, I would've voted "I don't have time to post in forums", since I'm a graduate student working on my dissertation and I'll be taking my comprehensive exams in a few weeks, but didn't because of the nasty added addendum "you guys need to get a life." That was very unnecessary. I'm not sure where all this sarcasm comes from, but it's very difficult to tell what's a joke and what's not considering how hot headed a lot of fauna members can be. To be an honest poll, choices can't be baited like they are here. It's asking for a false representation of what people really think.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:02 PM   #84
Twizted Paths
Poor Harald, I think part of the reason he's so cranky is that so many people don't get his sense of humor.

I promise to stop filling the fire extinguishers with flammable silly string & to swap the Sterno brand burn gel back to the aloe based gel. But only in the clubroom.

I'm still going to keep filling the soap dispensers with pudding though.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:18 PM   #85
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twizted Paths View Post
I'm still going to keep filling the soap dispensers with pudding though.
see, pure evil right there!

mmm tapioca

Old 03-30-2010, 09:53 PM   #86
dturner100
At first I didn't want to look stupid by saying something the "experts" didn't agree with.

Now I seem to look stupid on a daily basis...

It's alright though because I'm a jerk in real life. Go figure...

Old 11-20-2010, 03:05 PM   #87
BigTattoo
There should be a semi-lurker option.

I think I would qualify as a semi-lurker. I post where I have information I feel may help or contribute in a hopefully positive way. I avoid drama and flame wars with a passion. I was real active on here and KS up until several years ago and the "good ol' boys" and the flamers/trolls can make it somewhat undesirable to participate.

I also enjoy posting on "fun" threads as well as my posting on this one. It seems that quite often I'm too late to the party by the time I post. This thread is a prime example as the OP hasn't posted on here since 6/09. LOL Day late and dollar short once again.

I've posted on some threads of recent acquisitions and the posts go totally ignored. This reinforces for me the "good ol' boy/girl" sociology of some forums. Where others who are part of the network can post pic after pic and get numerous responses.

I post on the BOI but very carefully. I primarily post there of positive transaction to help other herp consumeres find their way to responsible breeders/dealers. I also rely on others input on the BOI to aid me in my choices.

So I read a lot, post a little and keep my head low.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:22 PM   #88
hhmoore
Quote:
It seems that quite often I'm too late to the party by the time I post. This thread is a prime example as the OP hasn't posted on here since 6/09. LOL Day late and dollar short once again.
Not at all - This thread wasn't about me....and it is 4 yrs old now. The purpose of this thread was to see what holds people back - we get a bunch of people that regularly visit the site, but rarely, if ever, make a post. I know some are here just for the ads, and others only go to the BOI. Heck, there are people that have been coming here for a couple years that don't even know there are discussion forums on this site.
I might not post regularly in this thread, but I still look at the responses

Old 12-01-2010, 12:49 AM   #89
Mikkwa
I was one of the ppl that joined originally for the classifieds. I've bought 5 snakes from this site since my short time of joining. My very first post was a good guy post for one of the sellers I bought from here. I have so far stayed away from commenting in the bad guy posts due to the fact that most get away from the topic & end up a "shouting" match between posters who don't agree with each other. I do love reading those posts tho', it reminds me of a soap opera (sorta' - As the fauna world turns, so does the days of our reptiles' lives).

This is only my personal opinion, not a complaint that anyone here has instilled in my way of thinking, but I felt I didn't really have much of a right to post until I became a contributing member. My reason for thinking on that line is that if I can spend multi-X dollars on snakes, benefiting from this site, but not willing to contribute to help keep it going I didn't have a right to complain or say anything.

I am having loads of fun since I joined the "Hell" group, I love it in there & some of the threads are hilarious! I have posted more in there than anywhere else so far (I know, says a lot about my personality, but at my age...I can handle it).

So far on this forum I haven't felt the haughtyness I do on a few others I belong to. I am not new to the keeping of reptiles, especially snakes tho' I'm no expert either. Some of the other forums think & have said as much that if you are new you must be new to reptiles & your opinions or posts are of no importance. I'm new to all the forums as I didn't have internet in my home for many yrs. after my son left home & just returned to it this yr., hence I have no previous online history. Thank ya'll for accepting me here & I will do my best to not let you down with any negative vibes!

Old 12-03-2010, 05:26 AM   #90
drug27
I usually browse the classifieds first and foremost.The BOI has been very helpful when considering herps from new sources.I guess i just decided to peep the scene for a while and feel things out (wait that sounds too creepy) I think the term i prefer would be thread stalker LOL .Sometimes issues can be resolved within threads but other times theres just that irresistable "jerry springer" quality that you cant stop watching like a train wreck.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!