Can't keep my crickets alive :( - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-07-2009, 12:02 AM   #1
Zack319
Can't keep my crickets alive :(

I go through around 1,000 crickets a week, but I can't seem to keep them alive. It seems every week, I have to buy 1 - 200 or more, just to feed my beardies.

I have them in a 30G tub, Theres some rocks in there, empty egg cartons, some of those water pillows, and orange peels. I was told to feed them tropical fish food, So I throw some flakes in there as well.

Ever week, I find 100's dead, and it just seems like a waste.
I've asked the local pet store for some suggestions, and they said to keep doing what I'm doing but there must be a better way.

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-07-2009, 09:52 AM   #2
Casey Hulse
Hi Zack, This is what we use as a setup.
About a 60qt sterilite or rubbermaid semi-clear tub, approx. 16h x 16w x 23L.
We put a layer of newspaper on the bottom, and use a bird watering device for water, put some cotton in so the crix can't drown. Use a ground seed/grain for food. I have a friend who grinds up generic cheerios for his crix and they do well. When crix moult/shed, they need fairly high humidity or they can die, keep this in mind if you are buying pre wings. Make sure there are no toxix fumes anywhere nearby (air freshener etc..) Good luck.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:17 AM   #3
gillian25
i also use crested gecko food they love it . i also put a clear container of peat moss damp , with a door screen over it , the females will lay eggs in it and it gives a constant supply of tiny crickets ...........

Old 05-07-2009, 11:34 AM   #4
Zack319
Thanks Casey for the advice, I'm gonna run out tonight and pick up some things.
By bird watering device, did you mean a simple bird bath or? I googled it and found a lot of choices

I just am buying small crickets for now, so I don't think they'll be breading, I'll need larger ones soon though, so I'll keep that advice Toni.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:45 AM   #5
Casey Hulse
If you go to the petshop, go in the bird section, they look like a "test tube" with a plastic trough on it, they are made to fill with water and insert through the cage wire for parakeets and stuff. You will need to drill a small hole in the rubbermaid tub about 3" from the bottom in a corner, fashion a wire loop inside the tub and attach at the hole, slip the waterer thru the loop so it can't tip over. Make sure the trough has cotton in it or the crix will drown.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:22 PM   #6
Zack319
Alright great.
I have to buy some more crickets tomorrow. So these suggestions hopefully will help

Thank you very much!

Old 05-08-2009, 10:26 PM   #7
Zack319
I went to the 2 pet stores today,they thought I was nuts when I asked for a bird watering device lol.

Couldn't find anything but things for seed.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:08 PM   #8
Casey Hulse
They have 2 kinds, 1 will dispense seed, the other is for water. They look the same but the test tube part of the seed feeder has a slot that lines up with the trough, the waterer does not. I know the shops here in Mich. sell them. Do a search online, you can probably find them on ebay also. I will look online this weekend and find a link for you.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:29 AM   #9
Zack319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Hulse View Post
They have 2 kinds, 1 will dispense seed, the other is for water. They look the same but the test tube part of the seed feeder has a slot that lines up with the trough, the waterer does not. I know the shops here in Mich. sell them. Do a search online, you can probably find them on ebay also. I will look online this weekend and find a link for you.
Thanks again for your help. I ended up buying the Fluckers Cricket hydraters or something , blue things that hold moisture.

Hopefully those work until I get the bird waterer.

Old 05-09-2009, 05:09 AM   #10
Casey Hulse
Quote:
I ended up buying the Fluckers Cricket hydraters or something , blue things that hold moisture.
Those are not good enough when you buy 1m crix at a time when you get the larger sizes of crix. They need lots of H20

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!