New Salamander/Newt Suggestions - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 03-08-2015, 12:56 PM   #1
Night10gail
New Salamander/Newt Suggestions

I want to add a salamander or newt to my collection for educational purposes as I want to do kids programs at schools. I'm not sure what to get so I figured I'd ask you guys for recommendations. It should be a hardy species with thick skin that's not irritated as easily, since it will be picked up a lot for transport between programs. I can do land, aquatic, or a mixed type setup no problem but I only have the room for a 10gal or less. However, something that can live in a 5gal or plastic shoe box would be better. Currently my thought was a Fire Newt with a fire belly toad as this has been suggested several times. Neither seems to squirmy or jumpy to handle for show and tell and a 5 gal would be fine for 1 of each. Other things I've looked into for consideration are Tiger Salamanders and Emperor Newts. Anyone with experience in these know how they do with gentle handling for educational programs and are they nippy? The only thing I'm really worried about those two is how toxic they can be if they feel the need to secrete their defensive chemical.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:32 PM   #2
snakesareawesome
Salamanders really shouldn't be handled except to clean their enclosures, check weights, etc. They are also sensitive to heat and many are best kept under 70F. Tiger salamanders would be a good choice for educational shows in the winter, early spring, and late fall. No salamander should be taken into the heat during the summer.

Old 03-08-2015, 09:35 PM   #3
Night10gail
I would refuse to do shows during times of the year when my local weather is typically too cool or too hot. I would do shows only during the spring and fall most likely as I will not put any of my pets at risk. During summer and winter educational use would pertain to informative youtube videos and the children (mine or friends) in my home. I know with frogs Dumpy Tree Frogs are the go to educational frog because their thicker waxy skin isn't as sensitive to being touched as other frogs and they are pretty laid back frogs happy to sit still for show and tell. Was wondering if their was a sort of go to salamander/newt like that. I feel like newts skin would be less sensitive to handling as many have thicker, leatherier skin since many spend more time on land.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:28 PM   #4
MichaelS
Ribbed newt.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
newt, salamanders