Can you convince me? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Other Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-30-2012, 03:00 PM   #1
Dbz4246
Can you convince me?

Alright, I have been thinking about getting into a species of colubrid to keep and breed. BUT, I have tried rats (and corns), kings, and bulls. All were a no go, they just didn't do much for me.

The species that I do currently breed are ball pythons, and this is my first year at having babies, I also am planning to breed rainbow boas once the few I have get up to size.

The species I have looked at were House snakes, False water cobras, and Hognose (yes I will also post in the hognose forum). If you can, please tell me the heat requirements, feeding, growth size, or any other information about the species that you think will be helpful with my decision. Also the amount of morphs (or localities) of each species will be helpful to. After I decide what I would like to go for, I will do extensive reading and research on the animal, so dont worry

Thanks to all of Fauna for their help, and any suggestions will be appreciated

Old 09-30-2012, 10:12 PM   #2
reticguy76
False water cobra Best species in the world

Old 09-30-2012, 10:14 PM   #3
Dbz4246
And why is that?

Old 10-02-2012, 02:28 AM   #4
Dbz4246
Ok, I have narrowed it down to two species: hognose or house snake, can anyone tell me about house snakes?

Old 10-02-2012, 02:34 AM   #5
Bells
I'm late to this thread, but I would recommend you keep and breed garter snakes. They are fun and interactive snakes to keep and are easily bred.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:09 AM   #6
Dbz4246
Aren't garters more prone to musk? And I'm not too sure but I think garters are illegal to sell in Texas, I thought I had read that somewhere but have to make sure

Old 10-02-2012, 03:46 AM   #7
Bells
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbz4246 View Post
Aren't garters more prone to musk? And I'm not too sure but I think garters are illegal to sell in Texas, I thought I had read that somewhere but have to make sure
From my personal experience only a few cbb garters will musk as babies but most if not all will stop musking as they get older and accustomed to being handled.

I don't know if it is illegal to sell garters in Texas but if they are I think it will only pertain to garters native to Texas, like the eastern blackneck garter.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:50 AM   #8
Dbz4246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bells View Post
I don't know if it is illegal to sell garters in Texas but if they are I think it will only pertain to garters native to Texas, like the eastern blackneck garter.
Hmm ok, I'll have to check them out as well, and yea I think your right but ill check up on in to make sure

Old 10-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #9
MDC_Ophiuchus
I used to keep African house snakes. Wonderful little colubrids. In my opinion, they are pretty much the African equivalent of corn snakes, in terms of general care and behavior.

But they do have that python-esque head and they're very strong for their size. Almost like someone crossed a Children's python' head and coloration with a cornsnake's body.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:39 PM   #10
MDC_Ophiuchus
Hognose snakes are fun, too! Obviously, the most popular and easiest to keep is the western hognose, which take more readily to rodent prey. They like it a little warmer than most other colubrids, and have a higher metabolism, which means they eat a little more often (every 3-5 days).

I would avoid any other hognose species.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!