All BD breeders should read this... - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-13-2012, 11:57 PM   #21
CarolinaClassicDragons
I agree with several of the posts here but I also disagree with some (isn't this fun!? ) We can only get better by sharing information and staying open minded. Jacques makes some great points here. I have recently been seeing way too many wanna-be vets popping up that have never even sat in on a college level microbiology course better yet the grueling years of veterinary school. And how in the world is anyone able to sell prescription strength drugs in this country. Well, legally they are not. Most of what you are seeing is diluted down strengths of generics. Not the best path to take either if you have a truly sick animal.

Couple of points for consideration... I would highly recommend using Baycox (toltrazuril) over Albon any day of the week. Albon is old school and not nearly as effective as Baycox. Albon is quite harsh on a beardie.

Way too many breeders out there giving their dragons annual dosages of Panacur and Albon as a preventative maintenance program. Are you kidding me?! I got into an argument with a breeder over this a couple of years ago. Jacques is right, you are potentially setting us all up for a real problem.

I have found Baytril to be very effective for treating bacterial infections. Unfortunately, by the time a dragon starts to show signs of decline from a bacterial infection, you do not have the time to wait around on cultures. You should be consulting with a vet. on any illness and making a calculated, educated decision on what treatment is best suited for the situation.

Doing your own fecals is fine if you know what you are doing. You should find someone that really knows what they are doing and get trained on what to look for. Most importantly, learn when it is important to react to what you are seeing under the scope.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:56 PM   #22
Valley Dragons
Advice from a dragon breeder turned goat farmer...

For intestinal worms, sprinkle diatomaceous earth (food grade) on your dragon's food on a daily basis. Does not work overnight, but after a couple of weeks you will see a difference. No more worms...no side effects, no parasite resistance because it works mechanically. 100% safe and natural...I use the stuuf myself. Also works great to keep mites out of the cage and off the dragon. Wolf Creek Ranch has some excellent info regarding the uses of diatomaceous earth.

Jamie

Old 04-22-2012, 08:02 AM   #23
Draco11
I can agree that worming every six months without testing would create a resistance to the drug in the future. That is why it is improtant to at least do fecals on them insted of treating them right off the bat. Knowing what parisites are crucial to treating them. I am a Reg. Vet tech in Ca. and know my parisites when I see them, So I reguarly test for parasites every six months. but only treat when the infection is overloaded. one or two eggs I let them be but do re-check fecals on them. If anyone has trouble I.d.'ing a paristie egg/s I can help pics would be a +. With albon it is hard on their systems and can form crystals in their liver, to prevent this, it's reccomended to soak them every otherday for 15min.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:23 PM   #24
OEdwards
Yes I am saying that test and treat if needed and I stress this if you breed and you are a breeder so that way our costomers cannot spread this disease as much.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:18 PM   #25
Draco11

A bearded loaded with parasites can go downhill quickly. Also will spread if not cleaning the cages carefully. When I'm treating one for parisites, I make sure to bleach their cage every week and let it set for 20 min. before rinseing out very well. Make sure the room is well ventalated.

OEdwards, how's it going. I had 2 of my beardies lay eggs one laid 28 eggs,, but she likes to lay in her cage, won't consider a lay box lol, 18 of them are looking good the others about 9 were popped when she steped on some. Also my other girl Sparkels laid 17 eggs all looking good. 1st is a citrus leatherback femx citrus tiger, second is breeding of 2 citrus tigers.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:34 PM   #26
OEdwards
I am workin on it do not worry

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!