Info Ashley Caspillo-SakaraGT4/Sakara *Possible Buyer Beware!* - Page 8 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:25 PM   #71
amercnwmn
..and I totally agree with Rachel's post above. I got in over my head as well. Thought I had OPMV..another REALLY NASTY HIGHLY CONTAGIOUS AIRBORNE disease.
Thankfully I was cleared, and I did have 2 buildings for quarantine, but I acquired a LOT of snakes at ONE show, and it pretty much undermines quarantine when you cram 15 snakes in a car with 2 sick ones.

Live and learn...but try to protect others from your mistakes.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:31 PM   #72
sally-dog
I'm actually so paranoid about shows, I only buy from breeders with closed collections, and only after we exchange discussion about each other's quarantine procedures. There are a lot of great vendors at shows, but the one next to them might not be so great and screw it up for the rest. Viruses are nasty... and that's just me being paranoid.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:34 PM   #73
amercnwmn
No..I totally agree, after reading about these diseases, it's pretty scary.

I have since downsized my collection due to some physical limitations in dealing with fast, large venomous snakes. When I do go to re-add, I will be VERY selective in my quarantine and my purchases.

Old 12-03-2010, 03:36 PM   #74
amercnwmn
Ok a good friend recommended using GOOGLE Docs to upload the full .pdf from Dr. Jacobson it is available for viewing at:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...thkey=CMOEjJgK

Old 12-03-2010, 03:57 PM   #75
Drew Zaun
Ashley you mentioned you have another vet report on that boa that contradicts the IBD findings? Any chance you can get that posted? As I said before the more information out there the better we all are. The vets are not sure what to make of this disease and so until they get a handle on it we are pretty much on our own here...

Old 12-03-2010, 03:58 PM   #76
SakaraGT4
I didn't say that, lol... I posted the burm report from my burm that passed from liver failure that did not show inclusions

Old 12-03-2010, 04:02 PM   #77
Adrya
Everything else reported about the burm though indicated symptoms of IBD.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:04 PM   #78
SakaraGT4
the everything else, was what I told the vet what I saw... over the weekend that the vet had the snake, alive, he told me that she was acting better and normal... And no, they didn't try to treat her for anything... IBD snakes don't act better, they deteriorate no matter how fast or slow it happens

Old 12-03-2010, 04:16 PM   #79
Drew Zaun
Mmm, my mistake. From this thread:
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...usions&page=14

post 133:

Quote:
Also, Yvonne's animals were in the same house and 2 of hers were housed with mine for breeding attempts and she knew about the snake as well and also believed the tox was incorrect on the "inclusions" found, which our vet that we use believes that inclusions were formed due to the pneumonia that was shown in the tox report and not IBD related considering no other snakes are sick or have been sick or had any issues and the other snakes that passed due to other reasons did not show any signs of any other issues or inclusions in any brain, liver or intestine tissues...

I also trust my current vet who sent off tissue for tox the same day as their date of death for 3 different animals MUCH more than the vet that sent samples for tox on that snake in question after a week... I only wish I had taken that snake to my vet rather then the one I did considering that vet felt it was ok to take his time with it...
I thought that there might have been another report...seems like that wasn't the case...

Old 12-03-2010, 04:30 PM   #80
KelliH
This is one of those threads that I just hate to see here. I was once a newcomer to reptiles and brought in some leopard geckos (very expensive ones I might add) from a breeder that was known worldwide. It was 1999 and there was no Fauna, no GeckoForums, just a small group of people that posted on the kingsnake.com Gecko forum, and a few really crappy books. I didn't know about quarantine; I just put the half a dozen new leos in one of my racks in my gecko room. Yes, a couple of them looked thin, but I figured they just needed a couple weeks of nicely gutloaded crickets and they would be A-ok.

Within two weeks almost none of my 75 or so leopard geckos was eating, and they had lost a lot of weight and were dehydrated, no matter how much water they drank. Long story short, my husband and I sent off 6 live specimens to have full necrops and histopath done. Sure enough, all tested positive for crypto. One of the worst days of my life up until that time was the day I had to pull open each bin and remove each gecko to be euthanized. It's an awful feeling, and of course it was all my fault for not quarantining.

Not sure exactly why I tell this story except that I can empathize with Ashley. We all know how easy it is to get carried away with our herp collections; we get caught up in the excitement of it and before we know it we've added a ton of new animals to the collection.

Of course, the lesson here is we MUST practice a strict quarantine, always, no exceptions, no matter what breeder our new animal came from. I said it in another post earlier in the thread; some people are just going to have to learn the hard way about how important it is to quarantine, I was one of those people. Once it's happened you cannot change it, all you can do is take every precaution possible to make sure it never happens to you again.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
ibd