anorexic beardy help - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-25-2012, 09:50 AM   #1
isiahrg
Unhappy anorexic beardy help

Hello I have 3 female bds in an 100 gallon tank. The problem is one that used to be really fat is all of a sudden super skinny. I figured she maybe stressed because the other 2 are doing fine eating well and my temps are correct. So yesterday I moved the skinny one to her own enclosure I need help on getting her back on her feet. She's lost a considerable amount of weight. I have 2 baby's together also and one has basically stayed the same size I got it and the other keeps growing. Anyways first things first I need help with kreayshawn my bd she was my first one so id really like to see her make it to adult hood. Any information would be helpful.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:45 AM   #2
mmdragons
hello, What are your temps, basking ambient and cool end? Are the other two healthy ones "picking" on her or bullying her? If she is more laid back and the other two are dominat they could be stressing her out. Is she eating or just losing weight? If so when was the last time she ate? Any changes in envirnoment, because that can be also stressing her out. You may want to have her tested for parasites. What size tank is the baby in? Also what are the temps of that cage?

Old 04-25-2012, 02:25 PM   #3
isiahrg
I just got a female that's bigger than her by like an inch. I had my original female in that tank by herself and its like 2 and a half ft wide and 4 ft long. The temp on the hotside is 110 and the cool side is like 85 to 95 . But the thing is i had her with my other female who is smaller than her and i introduced the new female and then she stopped eatin her poop is really small like the baby bds. The smallest female doesn't mind though she still eats fine. My baby bds have the same temps. They're on a 10 gallon but that's changing when i get back from my training in 29 palms. The baby's both eat though one is just growing way faster. Back to my skinny bd though i was thinking she may have been stressed because she was the dominant one. But i dont know how she would be the only one with parasites. I plan on taking her to the vet soon if i can't fix it

Old 04-25-2012, 03:41 PM   #4
MissFirefly
Bearded Dragons shouldn't be housed together as they are naturally solitary animals who come together to breed only. When housed together, one tends to dominate (get the best basking spot, eat all the food, etc.) and the other suffers. Also, while they might "get along" there is always a chance a fight could occur and dragons can do some serious damage to each other.

I would suggest separating your three if at all possible.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:55 PM   #5
isiahrg
I was told by a lot of ppl females were fine together its housing males together that starts fights and all mine are female except for one baby that's the smallest is a male.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:59 PM   #6
Sushi Dragons
Sometimes females are fine together, sometimes they are not. Each dragon is an individual. Sometimes a pair or small group of females can be fine together for years and suddenly things change and they quarrel, bully each other, single each other out for dominance displays, etc.

If you haven't done so already, I would take the underweight dragon to the vet now instead of later. Dramatic weight loss is a symptom for many parasites and illnesses. It could very easily be the result of bullying from her peers, but it could just as easily be something that requires veterinary care. Chances are, if the thin dragon has something then they other two do as well. They just might not yet be feeling the affects of it.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:34 AM   #7
edrizzle
Feed them separately.

Try placing her on a tray or in a box and let 1 roach loose at a time so she can catch it. Let the other females watch her eat too. Just make sure she keeps eating(feed 5 times a day, small roaches then bigger).

Its probably a dominance issue. Look out for the other females trying step on her or lay on her, this is not a sign of friendship. Or try to observe if she getting good sleep. Ive notice that dragons that are getting bullied tend to always keep one eye open in case of an attack.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:59 PM   #8
Linda Lawrence2
Re: Question for person with the non eating dragon

Great Advice!
I sent a friend request to you as I sometimes have questions about my bearded dragons and happy I found you!

Linda

Old 04-28-2012, 02:11 PM   #9
Linda Lawrence2
What is your opinion on a male and female not mating? My male has mated with all my other females and they have had many eggs. The female I have had for two years has never been with a male until this year. When put with my male, he bobs his head and stops his feet but never mounts her. I have put them together in the same cage, I have put them on the floor. I have separated them so they can't see each other. Now the female is in a top cage below the male. They seem happy as clams separate. I am thinking of just giving on the two of them as mates.....What do you think?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!