Change to mobile device appearance/format? - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 02-16-2020, 08:17 PM   #31
WebSlave
Well, maybe I just jumped the gun by disabling that mobile skin. Doesn't seem to be a big deal to very many people, so I might as make a little bit of pocket change by using it. Doesn't affect me anyway, since I only use my desktop for this stuff.

Old 02-17-2020, 11:33 AM   #32
Insomniac101
The changes to the format are somewhat annoying to me.

When I click the Fauna icon on my phone (Android, if it matters), the site pops up in mobile format. Not really a fan, because I can't view classified categories to the far righthand side.

I just click on the desktop site from the drop-down menu, and it's fine.

The only issues I've had, is when I'll click on a classified ad heading, the site kicks me back to the mobile version login screen. Then I have to choose the desktop site from the menu again, and log in again.

That's a pain, because it was doing it every time I clicked on an ad. It seems better now; I've only had to log back in once.
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2020, 03:58 PM   #33
WebSlave
If you have to continually log in again and again, that usually means that you have a corrupted cookie on your device. I am not sure what the equivalent is on a mobile device. But on a PC, you have to delete the cookie for this site to end that problem.

Usually, anyway. I can't say that it will always 100% be that problem.

Old 02-22-2020, 07:05 PM   #34
WebSlave
Well, I haven't heard anything from my programmer in over 2 weeks now. I hope he is OK. He is located outside of the USA in the middle east area, so I hope he's not caught up in that coronavirus stuff. It seems a lot of countries are clamming up concerning their own internal situations, so perhaps they are clamping down on external internet transmissions altogether.

So I still have the mobile skin still active along with the "enhanced" Google Adsense ads. My programmer told me that Google is very pro "mobile" and by not having the mobile skin, I was really hurting my rankings in the search engine, making it much more difficult for people to find this site on a cold search. And honestly the Google Adsense ads have improved things noticeably with the clickthroughs, so I'm thinking it may have to be here to stay. Will it piss off some people? Certainly! But when have I ever made a change here that didn't?

Not sure if the Adsense ads will grow on you using your mobile devices to visit this site or not, but honestly, at this point, my hands are really tied concerning doing anything about it anyway. And push come to shove, maybe it will help to offset any traffic loss we had here because of the closing of the BOI earlier this month. As I mentioned then, if the loss of the BOI meant that the site itself would die, then I was just going to have to accept that fate.

So, just a status report of sorts.

Old 02-22-2020, 08:21 PM   #35
DLenaRuth999s
I’m getting used to the mobile app. Some things are fine, and it works. If I want more details, I shift to the desktop.

Old 02-25-2020, 02:29 AM   #36
animal-house
Ads I’m sure are needed, but on the mobile version they are now enlarged and very annoying.

Old 02-25-2020, 02:40 AM   #37
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by animal-house View Post
Ads I’m sure are needed, but on the mobile version they are now enlarged and very annoying.
I have heard back from my programmer, and he indicates that we should be able to make the Google Adsense ads less intrusive for Contributing level members and above. But, of course, that won't help everyone.

When I get a chance, I will look into it.

Old 02-25-2020, 06:13 AM   #38
DLenaRuth999s
Talking Another perk!

And there’s another great reason to be a Contributing Member! Fewer ads!
Score!

Old 02-25-2020, 11:22 AM   #39
WebSlave
Yeah, but I need to just observe things first before making any further changes.

With the demise of the BOI, the mod for the new mobile skin, and the changes to Google Adsense, I need to just let the dust settle for a while to see what impacts have been made to the traffic to this site. For instance, if I find that the Adsense ads make more revenue for this site, and those ads are offsetting the lost traffic from the BOI going away, and it has absolutely no impact on increasing paid memberships if I change to what I mentioned above, would it really be wise for me to make a change that might hasten the total demise of this site?

Remember that I have speculated that the BOI getting the axe might be instrumental in traffic going into a nosedive here, causing the entire site to eventually die. So I feel like I am walking a tightrope right now.

Old 03-16-2020, 09:08 PM   #40
WebSlave
Did something happen here to make it difficult for new members to post? In less than a week, we have had 100 new registered members and only one (1) of them has made even a single post on the site.

That is just real unusual, so I'm wondering if something happened that I need to be aware of.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!