Using the WWW to advertise but not replying to e-mails. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 09-17-2005, 09:46 AM   #1
The BoidSmith
Using the WWW to advertise but not replying to e-mails.

The ad below was posted on KS today. This is not meant as a criticism to the person who posted this ad. But it really puzzles me that any person will use the WWW to advertise his animals but yet openly state he will not reply to e-mails. Maybe he doesn't own a computer and posted from the library, but even in that case couldn't he just check his e-mail there? The first thought that crosses my mind is that he doesn't want to leave anything "in writing". The question is, does he expect to have any interested parties at all? Only a person w/o any experience buying over the net will be reassured with the description of WC snakes over the phone only, which to top it off are quite expensive (for WC).

Quote:
*** Note: Please CALL ME if you need any info. I do not sell animals by e-mail, and will not reply to e-mails. (Sorry!) Please read this entire ad (including the disclosure at bottom), because the answers to most of the questions I get are spelled out in the ads I post. Thanks in advance. ***

I am selling seven (7) w/c ADULT FEMALE BALL PYTHONS:

WEIGHT PRICE (note- the name of each photo reflects the snakes weight in grams)
777g $200 plus shipping
856g $225 plus shipping
1147g $250 plus shipping
1192g $250 plus shipping
1398g $300 plus shipping
1777g $350 plus shipping

*** Or all 6 for $1000 plus shipping (please call me to make shipping arrangements) ***

Please CALL 772-215-7625 FOR INFO, ORDERING, I DO NOT REPLY TO E-MAIL. Unless otherwise indicated, the above animals are wild caught imports. They are in “apparent” good health. I strongly recommend that all animals (captive born and wild caught) be quarantined, checked by a vet, and treated accordingly. The pictures shown are the exact animal for sale. Venomous reptiles will not be knowingly sold or shipped where they are prohibited unless you fax us your permit. No sales to minors. Proof of age may be required. Orders containing venomous reptiles cannot be shipped door to door via overnight express services. Price does not include shipping. Shipping of all venomous snakes (including rear-fanged snakes) is via Delta Dash ($75.00) or Delta Air Cargo (+/- $68.00 collect) only. There is a $20.00 shipping box charge for all orders containing venomous reptiles (packing charges may be applied). Conditional live arrival guarantee only. I will be happy to answer any additional questions you have BY PHONE. I take Money Orders, and Pay Pal .
Sorry, no trades...

Old 09-17-2005, 10:11 AM   #2
Jim O
Dan,

I don't find that totally out of line. It's the seller's choice, just as it's yours to choose not to call. With long distance calling available for less than 5 cents per minute, a call is cheap. Many sellers complain that they reply to way too many "picture collectors". If someone is serious they can make the call. But that requires a bit more "personal" effort than an e-mail.

I have done business on a couple of occasions with Doug Price (the guy who had the original "Price Line Bredl's"). He also makes it clear in his ads that he does business via the phone and I believe there is no e-mail link on his website. Of course he does send pics via e-mail and so on, but the initial contact has to be by phone, most likely for that reason. He's a great all around guy and a pleasure to work with, but I imagine that he's busy and doesn't want to deal with the less than serious. If he loses a few sales then that is the price that he pays (no pun intended ).

Old 09-17-2005, 01:23 PM   #3
The BoidSmith
Jim,

But your are talking about Doug Price! If I was planning on buying from VPI, RDR, etc. of course I would feel 100% comfortable doing business on the phone. But this is a person I have never heard of. What's said on the phone may very well later turn into "I never said that" or "you misunderstood what I said". I'm all in favor for telephone conversations but before or aftereverything was left in writing. With all the bad deals going on even when everything is spelled out to the "T", going for just what was said between two parties is just taking a big risk. I may be wrong but probably the great majority who read that ad would just pass, unless as I said before it’s a person who’s buying on the web for the first time.

Regards.

Old 09-17-2005, 02:04 PM   #4
Jim O
Dan,

You may be right, but you don't know that he is unwilling to supply pics if you call. Again, this seller may simply be weeding out picture collectors and more than willing to e-mail back and forth once the initial contact is made by phone (you are assuming he won't any you may be correct in that assumption but you may not be). If he is unwilling to do that it would be a deal breaker for me but having to call first would not be.

Old 09-17-2005, 05:02 PM   #5
The BoidSmith
Jim,

OK, you are assuming that if someone calls him and asks for pictures fe will e-mail them. He is not willing to reply to an e-mail inquiry to avoid “picture collectors” but yet “he might” be willing to send pictures? Besides, a picture in itself is not (as a buyer) the only thing that I’m looking for (the picture is a given!). I need to know “in writing” what there is to know when you purchase an animal on the www. On the other hand he has answered that in his ad when he states: “Please CALL 772-215-7625 FOR INFO, ORDERING, I DO NOT REPLY TO E-MAIL. Unless otherwise indicated, the above animals are wild caught imports. They are in “apparent” good health. I strongly recommend that all animals (captive born and wild caught) be quarantined, checked by a vet, and treated accordingly”. That’s why I’m highly doubting anyone might be interested unless of course they have “0” previous experience buying on-line.

Regards

Old 09-17-2005, 11:40 PM   #6
hhmoore
I have seen several such ads, and I (to date) passed them all without a second thought. My biggest reason - my schedule. I frequently look at the ads at night, and (unless I am specifically directed to do so) will not call somebody before 09:00 or after 21:00. Even if I am awake, I frequently won't make calls during the day/evening, in order to not disturb my wife...so to call during "normal business hours" is difficult for me.

Old 09-17-2005, 11:50 PM   #7
SPJ
That ad is from Ray Hunter.

He may be a bit "loopy" (picture scrubs and flip flops LOL) but he is a good guy and you shouldn't have to worry about him misrepresenting his animals.

Old 09-18-2005, 02:13 AM   #8
The BoidSmith
Quote:
That ad is from Ray Hunter.

He may be a bit "loopy" (picture scrubs and flip flops LOL) but he is a good guy and you shouldn't have to worry about him misrepresenting his animals.
Steve,

The point I was trying to make was not the person who wrote it, but the advertising strategy. My questions for any person writing that ad would probably be:

1. Are they feeding and if so what and how often.

2. How long have you had them and why are you selling them so close to the breeding season?

3. Are they healthy?

Yes, those can be all answered over a telephone conversation. If any of the above end up being a problem later you will have no proof whatsoever about what was said on the phone. Again, I'm not saying nothing about Ray specifically (that's why I didn't bring his name up in this thread), but of a person you don't know and want to do business with.

One way or the other those questions were partially answered on the ad. It's not stated whther they are eating or not. As they are WC I would have to assume they are not if not the seller would make a point of the fact they are eating. Have long has he had them and reason for selling would have to be answered. The third one is answered with the statement: "They are in “apparent” good health. I strongly recommend that all animals (captive born and wild caught) be quarantined, checked by a vet, and treated accordingly”.

Regards.

Old 09-18-2005, 02:15 AM   #9
The BoidSmith
Quote:
Have long has he had them and reason for selling would have to be answered.
It should have read "How long", sorry for the typo. It's been a long day!

Regards.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!