Python Loose at School - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 09-24-2006, 10:20 AM   #1
SPJ
Python Loose at School

WCBS (New York, New York) 23 September 06 Python Snake On The Loose At Long Island School
Hauppauge, N.Y. (CBS/AP):

N.Y. Students at a Long Island school have more than the three R's to deal with these days.
They're hunting for a reptile running loose.
The 2-foot snake name is Slim, a ball python who escaped from its tank in the sixth-grade science room. The snake had been a pet inside the room for five years at Hauppauge Middle School.
On Tuesday, teachers were putting Slim and another snake named Otis back into their containers when a student with a problem in the hall distracted them for a few moments.
"The calculating snakes took this as an opportunity to make a break for it," principal Maryann Fletcher explained to parents in a letter.
Otis was caught. Slim was not.
Pythons, cold-blooded serpents native to West Africa, are not generally dangerous. If afraid, they usually roll themselves into a ball.
Still, the principal promised that the school is "making every effort to locate the snake." To entice the critter, the school has set up heating lamps and traps filled with crickets.

http://wcbstv.com/local/local_story_266144557.html

Old 09-24-2006, 10:54 AM   #2
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ
"The calculating snakes took this as an opportunity to make a break for it," principal Maryann Fletcher explained to parents in a letter.
.................................................. .................................................. ....
Still, the principal promised that the school is "making every effort to locate the snake." To entice the critter, the school has set up heating lamps and traps filled with crickets.
roflmao - you've just gotta love how they get the most clueless person to act as spokesperson (the fact that it is the principal just makes it that much better...or is it worse, lol)

Old 09-24-2006, 11:08 AM   #3
Ginger Ambrose
BP's eat crickets ..........................I could have been saving so much money !
If only I had known.

ROFLMAO

Old 09-24-2006, 12:05 PM   #4
Clay Davenport
This is classic. I loved the part about the calculating snakes. I can see them now, "Come on Otis, now is our chance......stupid humans....mwa hahaha"

Good thing they were quick thinkers and got those cricket traps set, everyone knows a ball python can't resist the enticing aroma of live crickets.

Old 09-24-2006, 12:23 PM   #5
Mary-Beth is KoRny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Davenport
Good thing they were quick thinkers and got those cricket traps set, everyone knows a ball python can't resist the enticing aroma of live crickets.

Yep! I bet that's why he grew to a whole TWO FEET in length over the five years he's been there too. Good old nutritious crickets.

Old 09-24-2006, 06:12 PM   #6
INSANE CANES
Sure hope they were gutloading those crickets.

Old 09-24-2006, 08:28 PM   #7
reptiler ron
A 5 year old snake thats 2 foot long feed him Ron

Old 09-24-2006, 08:56 PM   #8
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptiler ron
A 5 year old snake thats 2 foot long feed him Ron

Well if hes on a cricket diet im sure thats the stunting going on there.

but i will say, that the media might have mentioned crickets instead of mice as to not upset people about snakes eating mice... since most people are clueless about snakes anyway, what would they know.

I love the "calculating snake" bit though.... Brilliance at its best!

Old 09-25-2006, 11:37 AM   #9
Nero557
I laugh at the stupid principal but I do feel sorry for the snake, being 5yrs old and 2ft long and they think it eats crickets, geez, the programs at that school can't be much better if they don't know about a damn ball python... oh geez, I wonder if any of those kids will make it to college...

Old 09-25-2006, 08:01 PM   #10
Rattlesnake
Do you think they actually did feed the Ball crickets?
That certainly would account for its 2' length, I wonder how big around it is.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!