Dragon Questions - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-11-2005, 11:27 AM   #11
Casey Hulse
Babies actually thrive at the temps. I stated, and you will not have to worry as much about overheating them if your bulb is a little too close or if your basking area is too high. I never advise anyone new with Beardies to supply a basking area at the Max. recommended temp. but they will do well at 115 MAX also.

Old 07-11-2005, 11:48 AM   #12
some_lizard_guy
I agree that one shouldn't *try* to get the max temperature, I generally shoot for the middle (100*F for adults, 110*F for babies). That was why I gave a range though, to say what was acceptable.

Old 07-11-2005, 11:55 AM   #13
doggroomer
So far, I seem to be doing ok as a newbie! My temps are about 101-110, at the hottest point on the basking area, and my cool side is 81.5. Night temps are around 70. I watched them take some greens this morning....not much though, just one or two leaves. SO, they are hungry! They do seem to be doing quite well

Old 07-11-2005, 01:36 PM   #14
Melle
Sounds like you are doin great Babies usually only sample their greens if they eat any at all at that age, so definately give em lots of crickets and dont worry if they are not eating as many greens yet. Just keep offering them greens every day along with their crickets. They'll eat more of them as they get older, and like what was said, at this age they need a majority of their diet to be protein anyways.

Old 07-11-2005, 03:09 PM   #15
Matt Haines
Sounds like you're doing great!

Old 07-11-2005, 09:18 PM   #16
doggroomer
Thanks all! I gave 'em Crickets tonight, and I also got some Rep-Cal Bearded Dragon dry food. I noticed that they go real strong on the crickets, and take about 10 each....I hope they are eating enough! They just seem to take 10 each, and then go back and bask, even though I offer more the 10 each.

I noticed something weird about the snow.....at some temps and after I mist, his tummy gets very dark and spotted...WHAT IS THAT? As soon as he warms up again (around 102+) his tummy is all white again

Old 07-11-2005, 11:03 PM   #17
some_lizard_guy
It is normal for a dragon's color (including the rings and spots on the belly) to change with the temperature and mood of the dragon and in response to other factors such as the presence of the opposite sex. Mine always get very bright with white bellies when I feed them or take them out, as well as when they bask. But early in the morning when they are just heating up they tend to be dull (sometimes my yellow male's pattern is flecked with black) Basically what I'm trying to say is that what you are experiencing is completely normal.

Old 07-12-2005, 05:36 PM   #18
InFocus
That is probably thermo-regulation in action. In the morning, and when the dragon is exposed to lower temps they tend to change to a darker color to absorb heat easier. As their body temperature reaches its optimum range they will loose the dark and color up.

Bob

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!