General genetics question - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization

Notices

Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization General discussions about the science of genetics as well as the ever changing face of taxonomy. Issues concerning hybridization are welcome here as well.

Old 03-30-2016, 10:14 AM   #11
nickolasanastasiou
I consider the conversation an investment. Others will read this and surely find benefit, so thank you for asking.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:07 PM   #12
AbsoluteApril
Glad it all helped in the end. I was totally confused on your original question, was trying to figure out why someone would want to prove out a normal as being only a normal

Old 03-30-2016, 01:33 PM   #13
nickolasanastasiou
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
Glad it all helped in the end. I was totally confused on your original question, was trying to figure out why someone would want to prove out a normal as being only a normal
There is one example species I can think of and that is in the leopard gecko keeping community. Leopard geckos have three known locus-incompatible amelanism/albinism types/"strains". It is widely frowned upon to mix any single type with a type other than itself. If one wants to make a multi-gene combination morph, sometimes a breeder tries to establish reasonable confidence in the animals being worked with and that can mean test breeding to "disprove" for an undesired albino type that may or may not be known to exist in the base animal's lineage. The aim here is to produce the resultant hets (incidentally) with the hope of not getting the test-bred albino type that season so that the following season can be focused on the target albino variant once some confidence has been established that the tested-for type is likely not present in het form in that breeding animal being tested. Another goal is to maintain outcross stock for other projects. Animals intended for blank slate outcross stock may be test bred similarly with the goal of making sure the adults intended to produce future outcross-useful offspring (and the adults themselves) are not likely to be in possession of any recessive genes that could impact any other morph project.

Since BPs still get imported, BP people (to my admittedly limited knowledge) have little to no need to do things like I have mentioned, but leopard geckos are a different kettle of fish in terms of injecting fresh lineage into projects. With leopard geckos, it is pretty much Zeus and Hera or Oedipus and Jocasta for the most part in captive populations in the US, so that is why such measures may be taken.

Old 03-30-2016, 04:06 PM   #14
AbsoluteApril
Yes, I understand about leopard gecko albino strains and wondered if that's where she was coming from. Similar issue with boas, there are two incompatible but similar looking strains of albino which means it's important to know which strain you are buying/selling (when the original two strains were crossed to see if they were compatible, the resulting normal appearing double hets were wholesaled off as normals into pet stores, from what I've read).

In general, proving out a normal as only carrying wild type genes is not something one comes across. The statement about being able to trace back to WC origins had me wondering as all morphs came from WC origins, simply being able to trace it back doesn't ensure the animal isn't a het (which I know you understand).

Feel like I'm talking in circles and simply making it more confusing haha! *goes back to my hidebox*

Old 03-31-2016, 11:13 AM   #15
nickolasanastasiou
Yeah, aside from an exception like the leopard gecko or boa situation, the concept would be seemingly rare in my opinion and I cannot recall an instance or example beyond those.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!