Bad Guy William Gangemi (at repticon) - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 03-26-2018, 08:42 PM   #31
dishay
Apologies for being absent on this thread. I only just received an email telling me there were new replies. I did receive paperwork, but I believe it got thrown away in a recent deep-clean. I have contacted my vet for another copy and will post it as soon as possible. As for William’s claim that he offered replacement animals to both parties: unless I somehow missed a direct message or other form of contact, that is false. I currently have no messages in my FaunaClassifieds mailbox and William does not have my email and thus cannot contact me that way. I do admit that I am new to reptile keeping. ReptiCon was my first exposure to reptile expos of any kind. I don’t know how to provide proof that my animal did indeed die. I did not take pictures or video of him in his death throes. I did make a grave error by purchasing my skink without getting a business card or anything from William, as well as not writing down his name or information. I only got his name off of my credit card purchase history after my animal died. I completely understand that people are skeptical of my claim as I haven’t provided proof, so I promise I will have my vet paperwork up as soon as I get a copy. I only have a few pictures of him and most are a little too close to see his body, but I will post what I have. Thank you for the replies, both supportive and skeptical. I now have a crested gecko who is doing swimmingly!

Old 03-26-2018, 09:41 PM   #32
Vorlon1
James, I believe your report. But I think a little advice might help you and others.
With the common use of cell phones and cell phone cameras. I would begin shooting pics the time I bought the animal, when I got it home, and every time I went to check on the animal.

I am telling you this from experience. I sell reptiles. A client bought a baby snake that didn't eat right away. The client sent me pics and I returned pics of how to get it to eat. It took over 6 weeks, but it ate. He still sends me updates via text message.

Going forward, a picture that you took when you first set the gecko up, and then one less than 48 hours later of it near death would be powerful evidence. You may also choose to shoot short videos and post them on youtube. When you do videos you can talk while shooting and give details of what you see.

Just a thought for any person that buys any animal...

Old 03-26-2018, 10:30 PM   #33
Jikvt
Since posting, I have heard from William. He was very prompt and apologetic, and I believe he was quite sincere. I do not hold him responsible for what happened to my gecko. I certainly don't think was to blame. If I could, I would delete my original posting. I do not think this experience has completely turned me off from attending other reptile Expos. I did have a great day and I actually look forward to the next one. I'm going to consider this a learning experience and try to be better prepared in the future. I think William for his prompt reply to my message on Square. You did have a great selection at the Expo and I look forward to visiting your table at the next one. I apologize for speaking out in haste earlier, but I was upset at the time and you were probably the easiest target. I am sorry for that.

Old 03-27-2018, 12:56 AM   #34
Snake-Queen
Why exactly do you think he is not responsible for the death?

Old 03-27-2018, 03:17 AM   #35
Jikvt
I think many things contributed. The stress of the expo. The stress of moving to a new home. I talked to my brother and we both remember hearing the gecko make a sound like he was sneezing, so he could have been sick. It's not fair to blame these all on one person.

Old 03-27-2018, 05:15 AM   #36
meowmeowkazoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jikvt View Post
Since posting, I have heard from William. He was very prompt and apologetic, and I believe he was quite sincere. I do not hold him responsible for what happened to my gecko. I certainly don't think was to blame. If I could, I would delete my original posting. I do not think this experience has completely turned me off from attending other reptile Expos. I did have a great day and I actually look forward to the next one. I'm going to consider this a learning experience and try to be better prepared in the future. I think William for his prompt reply to my message on Square. You did have a great selection at the Expo and I look forward to visiting your table at the next one. I apologize for speaking out in haste earlier, but I was upset at the time and you were probably the easiest target. I am sorry for that.
This abrupt and extremely apologetic post is kind of suspicious, tbh. What exactly did William say or offer you that prompted you to practically fall over yourself apologizing? If the gecko was sick, that is the seller's fault.

Old 03-27-2018, 12:40 PM   #37
dishay
Clarifications

I re-read this thread and wanted to clarify some things about my post:

My skink started vomiting before I took him to the vet. I always take new animals, reptile or otherwise, to the vet when I first get them. I took him to the only reptile vet anywhere near me, Dr. James Talbott. He told me blue tongues were some of his favorite reptiles and sent me home with the Reptiles Magazine caresheet (which I had already read in detail about a hundred times before the visit).

The dewormer and protein mix he gave my skink were not actual injections. They were given orally with a syringe. The protein mix was just a sort of nutrient powder mixed with water to try and boost my skink’s appetite. It didn’t work, and the skink vomited it all up that night.

I am headed to the vet at 3:30 today to get the paperwork. Admittedly, this was my first time going to this particular vet and you can’t really be sure that a new vet, particularly an exotic one, is perfect. However, he did specialize in reptiles and I think the only thing he could have possibly done to the skink to harm it was the dewormer. I’m not sure exactly what it was, but the paperwork will likely tell me. He did not give the skink antibiotics or a shot or anything.

I attached the only good photos of my skink I have left, as I deleted most of them in grief after he died (stupid!). Some quick notes: in the first photo he was on the (clean) hardwood floor for about five minutes total because I was seeing if maybe he would eat if he was out of his enclosure (silly I know, but I was trying). The raspberry is there because pieces of (clean, organic) raspberry was the only food he ever showed interest in. I thought something sweet might get him interested in food. They were not a staple and he only ever ate one (before he vomited the first time). In the second photo, he is on my friend’s shoulder, where he remained for about 30 seconds. I had her wash her hands with antibacterial soap before and after touching him. I recognize now that handling him at all was a mistake, but I strongly believe that nothing I did could have caused him to die that quickly because, as William himself said, blue tongues are hardy.

Old 03-27-2018, 12:41 PM   #38
dishay
Good God, I forgot to actually link the photos. Sorry. https://imgur.com/a/D1YG9

Old 03-27-2018, 12:47 PM   #39
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jikvt View Post
Since posting, I have heard from William. He was very prompt and apologetic, and I believe he was quite sincere.
Why don't you post this conversation between the two of you that led to your epiphany?

Old 03-27-2018, 07:46 PM   #40
Snake-Queen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
Why don't you post this conversation between the two of you that led to your epiphany?
I agree.
Something sounds fishy.

You may have heard it cough?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!