confused about offspring numbering I think :) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization

Notices

Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization General discussions about the science of genetics as well as the ever changing face of taxonomy. Issues concerning hybridization are welcome here as well.

Old 12-06-2005, 08:23 AM   #1
nativecollector
confused about offspring numbering I think :)

Well here is where this downline and offspring numbering gets me confused.

When I breed tropical and native fish for a while I always refered to the offspring as being F1 or F2 or so on and so forth, I never really got into the breeding of reptiles for the reasons of getting out a certain gene. Now that is where I am headed with my reptiles. Before I just breed to get the babies and to know that I could manage reptiles the way I have done fish. With that in mind how do you figure out what these numbers mean
or any of those type things.
I think I have the genetics figured out (BaAb <- wow, lol) but the numbering part has me a bit lost. I am sure it is easy to understand once explained. So could someone be as so kind to help me out here?

Old 12-06-2005, 08:31 AM   #2
starwarsdad
In your first example 0.1.0, I believe the first number (0) represents available males. The second number signifies available females (1). The final number (0) is used to show unsexed animals or animals that can not be sexed at that time for whatever reason.

I hope this answers your question.

Old 12-06-2005, 08:33 AM   #3
nativecollector
so this in fact is not a numbering system to show what generation the animals are, but more for breeders to show how many of them they have?

If that is the case then that certainly clears it up.

Old 12-06-2005, 10:00 AM   #4
Cat_72
Yep, that's all it is. So if someone advertises that they have 3.4.8 Ball Pythons for sale.....it just means they are offering 3 males, 4 females, and 8 that are unsexed.

Even simpler than you thought it would be, lol.

Old 12-06-2005, 10:06 AM   #5
nativecollector
thank you for the replies, that eases my mind some now.

I will continue to use the F1 F2 thing because that is how I know how to identify which generation they are. As far as the rest of the genetics, well I will eventually enroll in a college and learn more about it, humm that is when I need to know more. )

Old 12-06-2005, 03:20 PM   #6
Otter_23
Yep one step at a time. Depending on the reptile though your gentic may get more confusing. I would start with ball pythons they seem to be pretty clear cut and dry. Beardeds and leopards are the most confusing for me.

Old 12-06-2005, 04:18 PM   #7
nativecollector
well as my user name states, I am more into the natives than I am all these imports. not that they are not enjoyable, but my interest are more into the natives. As they were with fish, the one exxception to the fish was that I supported my hobbie by raising convicts, oscars, and some african chiclids. About once a month I would have enough store credit to purchase more supplies, be it food or equipment. So in the long run i might start breeding leos, as I plan on getting a pair of them before the years end, but for now I can support my hobbie of the natives from my normal income easily.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!