First hot - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-10-2009, 06:55 PM   #1
LeilaNami
First hot

I'm currently being mentored on the captive care of hots. The species I decided I wanted was Trimeresurus venustus but I'm having a lot of trouble getting detailed care information or even finding a seller. Most of the ones I see being sold are labeled "Trimeresurus venustus Kanburi Pit Viper" when these are two separate species. I'm reluctant to buy when I don't know which species I'm getting even if the care is similar. Any advice, guys?

Old 08-10-2009, 08:49 PM   #2
Kingetula
You will be lucky to find one

Good luck.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:38 PM   #3
MacGaboon
A friend of mine kept both of those species, and in all my time with him I noticed they have very similiar care. Good luck in your search.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:49 PM   #4
Kingetula
Cryptelytrops venustus

Old 08-17-2009, 04:08 AM   #5
LeilaNami
Kingetula, is Cryptelytrops venustus a reclassification or is it an older name?

Old 08-17-2009, 09:53 AM   #6
Kingetula
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeilaNami View Post
Kingetula, is Cryptelytrops venustus a reclassification or is it an older name?
I'm going to PM you some info on them...

Old 08-19-2009, 01:07 AM   #7
AW2EOD
I'm not gonna be one of those that condemns you for picking hots, or asking info about your "first" hot...as I, myself, just got my own...

I was just curious about what brought you to that particular snake, for your first?

Old 08-19-2009, 06:27 AM   #8
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingetula View Post
Cryptelytrops venustus

Take a look at these guys Dan at DTS has offered on Kingsnake. I would do a BOI search on Dan here at Fauna first and make up your mind after you read the posts about him, (Good and bad). I had issues with him and WILL never buy his misrepresented and sickly snakes again but that's just me. I'm not telling you not to buy from him because he may have changed for the better by now. I don't have a problem with Dan as a person (I don't know the guy) but I (myself) will avoid DTS and keep his snakes out of my collection.

But if you are a gambling man you might just get some good snakes. (When buying snakes like this from Dan they are probably WC, take them to a vet, stool sample etc, even if he says they are fine and have been treated already)

My point: CAUTION when buying from Dan but he does have some rare stuff from time to time and it may be worth the gamble for you but if something goes wrong, LOOK OUT! Just read the BOI before you roll the dice on this guy.

Good luck.
I would NOT, I repeat NOT deal with DTS. As mentioned do a search.

While I do not know who this person is you may want to check him/her out:

http://www.venomousreptiles.org/clas...s/detail/28038

Old 08-20-2009, 02:04 AM   #9
LeilaNami
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAND View Post
I would NOT, I repeat NOT deal with DTS. As mentioned do a search.

While I do not know who this person is you may want to check him/her out:

http://www.venomousreptiles.org/clas...s/detail/28038
Thanks to you both!

Old 08-20-2009, 02:06 AM   #10
LeilaNami
Quote:
Originally Posted by AW2EOD View Post
I'm not gonna be one of those that condemns you for picking hots, or asking info about your "first" hot...as I, myself, just got my own...

I was just curious about what brought you to that particular snake, for your first?
Well I was always interested in hots and the more I looked and picked out what I would like to keep, the more I realized the majority of them were pit vipers. I did a lot of research but I kept turning back to this species over and over again.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!