OK venomous people.... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-26-2006, 06:47 PM   #1
nicolai
OK venomous people....

my brother would like to know what kind of rattler just moved into his yard. Can you identify this for him???

Old 05-26-2006, 10:16 PM   #2
old guy
atrox

or western diamond back. where is this as your profile doesn't say.

Old 05-27-2006, 06:27 PM   #3
Rattlesnake
What state and what area of the state was this picture taken in? Can you provide that info please? I agree with Old Guy, it looks like either an C. atrox or C. adamanteus.

Old 05-29-2006, 07:46 AM   #4
nicolai
My brother lives in arizona. He has three small children and is going to relocate that snake away from his house.

Old 07-25-2006, 03:18 PM   #5
Stevefromsd
That's a cool pic! Looks like a Western Diamondback. Too bad you can't see the tail. That would make it easier.

Old 07-30-2006, 05:14 PM   #6
crotalusadamanteus
Not to start an argument, but that snake looks nothing like C.adamanteus. They have much darker color to them.

It is C. atrox, or western Diamndback as suggested. At least judging by the pics.

Rick

Old 07-30-2006, 05:27 PM   #7
DAND
Education (of the children) and supervision would cause the snake to live longer than relocation. Most relocated snakes have a high mortality rate.

Old 07-31-2006, 09:36 AM   #8
old guy
have i addressed this issue before ?

while we are led to the belief of this. there are pros and cons of re-located association of the problems of such. There is some scientific proof but to the knowledge of thousands and thousands of re-located certain species of reptiles and particular snakes, ( wanna ask me which species I am referring to ) the water is thin. Now I'm not talking of a re-location of a tropical or sub-tropical ( try Florida though even ) herp releasing into a desert environment or reverse, but.........the transmission of pathogens and or viruses is also thin in my opinion and yes. one would argue the supposedly problem with the western gopher tortoise but isn't it strange that the same related species of gopher tortoise of the east hasn't had ( at least to my reading and knowledge ) this privilege of the above spread and knowing that probably as many " kept " and or short turn/time kept pets have been returned to wild status by the general public ? Yes, this might be slightly off topic of the snake thing and another story but just don't think there is a WHOLE credibility in the 100% scenario of a re-location or replanting species for what ever reason is a ultimate death sentence..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAND
Education (of the children) and supervision would cause the snake to live longer than relocation. Most relocated snakes have a high mortality rate.

Old 07-31-2006, 11:22 AM   #9
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by old guy
while we are led to the belief of this. there are pros and cons of re-located association of the problems of such. There is some scientific proof but to the knowledge of thousands and thousands of re-located certain species of reptiles and particular snakes, ( wanna ask me which species I am referring to ) the water is thin. Now I'm not talking of a re-location of a tropical or sub-tropical ( try Florida though even ) herp releasing into a desert environment or reverse, but.........the transmission of pathogens and or viruses is also thin in my opinion and yes. one would argue the supposedly problem with the western gopher tortoise but isn't it strange that the same related species of gopher tortoise of the east hasn't had ( at least to my reading and knowledge ) this privilege of the above spread and knowing that probably as many " kept " and or short turn/time kept pets have been returned to wild status by the general public ? Yes, this might be slightly off topic of the snake thing and another story but just don't think there is a WHOLE credibility in the 100% scenario of a re-location or replanting species for what ever reason is a ultimate death sentence..........
Note the Research findings:

http://sbsc.wr.usgs.gov/products/pdfs/fs-2006-3062.pdf#search='relocation%20of%20snakes%20mortal ity%20rates'

Old 07-31-2006, 11:58 AM   #10
old guy
as i said......

all that i have read, doesn't convince me. Of course as i said > my own observations and knowledge of over 4 decades and I'm not of the academic arena. Never the less, it is still of interest to me and others that agree/semi-agree with me. I guess with my collectible theory and others of " adaptability " is here in play. No, I'm in no way saying there isn't a toll of some problems but the thought of enmass...............There are slight problems of the gopher tortoise transmission via pet and let go as well that i do not agree on entirely..........as in other factors. But again this is my non-academic read and read and can see possibly other things like certain conditions including possible climatic changes and food intake of plant matter possibly being involved, NOTE : I said possibly. This again is good for debate on a debatable subject. One other note : being in the " bizz " and of the parvo virus of pet dogs some years ago and at its height of infection, and the theory of spreading not un-like the Gopher tortoise virus of came to be infected wild from domestic or reverse of wild populations, there is a very far out theory of why the parvo strain came and went....a far out enough rumor that i don't want to even post. Now if someone else wants to..........

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!