Any one ever heard of this.. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-17-2008, 01:21 PM   #1
melindaste
Any one ever heard of this..

I have had my bearded dragons for three years, I have never had this problem up untill about a month ago, When ever I hold my male, wherever he touch me I break out in a rash that itches like crazy, and then it spreads, I have to take benadryll to stop the itching. Nothing has changed in his enclosure or his diet. When it first started I did not think it was him, I ruled everything else out, as soon as he touches any of my skin I get hives and itching so intense I go nuts.
I swear I am not nuts. LOL any help would be appreciated. When I hold my female nothing happens.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:47 PM   #2
Jim O
Melinda,

You're not nuts...at least not bases on this story.

It certainly sounds like an allergic reaction. While they are uncommon in response to antigens on reptile skin, they do occur. Given that you are getting hives, it is likely a significant allergy. I would suggest not handling him without disposable gloves, removing the second glove from the inside out so your skin does not come in contact with the exterior of either glove. Alternatively, and this is a distant second choice, is to pre-treat yourself with Benadryl before handling him. You may need to use gloves to clean his enclosure also.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:11 PM   #3
melindaste
This sucks. He loves sitting on my shoulders I started putting a towel on my shoulder but it slides off. I will stick with the benadyrll I hate taking the stuff makes me sleepy. Strange that it just started.thanks for the advice.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:34 PM   #4
kmurphy
Jim, any guesses on why it would be only the male? Assuming it is of course. Since it has started only recently on a pair that she has had for 3 years then it could be that it has matured I guess. Does it take that long for them to mature?
If they are not housed together then possibly it is something that is being done differently in the cage set-up. New plants, substrate etc.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:38 PM   #5
kmurphy
I just re-read the original post that nothing had changed in the set-up. Maybe it should be scrubbed and steralized. Not saying it is dirty or anything, just trying to help.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:49 PM   #6
Tere Salazar
I certainly don't think you're crazy...because then, it would be both of us!

I've got one male that when I hold him, I have a similar reaction. Wherever he touches turns bright red and itches like crazy, but I haven't broken out in hives...yet.

Jim, is it possible that bathing him prior to handling him would help? The reason I ask is that if I take my guy out and bathe him before I really handle him a lot, the itching reaction I get isn't quite as bad.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:05 PM   #7
melindaste
I notice that after bath it is less also. I break my tanks down weekly to clean real good, Both have the same set up, I use tile for for the bottom, also neither one go to the bathroom in their tanks, they always go in the bath.. Yes I clean the sink up lol. It is crazy I have snakes and turtles and torts and nothing just him..

Old 01-17-2008, 04:21 PM   #8
Tere Salazar
We do the same thing...tile on the bottom, cleanup immediately after poo, running all the tiles through the dishwasher once a week, while the cages get a major bleach job. And it's the same, as well, here, I've got several other dragons, and it's only the one guy that gets me.

Melinda, one other thing I've learned with him is always to wear long pants and a long sleeved shirt when I handle him. It kind of sucks because we're in Arizona, but it does help for whatever reason. Then only my neck does the red, itchy thing because he loves to snuggle.

Old 01-17-2008, 05:11 PM   #9
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmurphy
Jim, any guesses on why it would be only the male?
Different animals have different allergens in their skins, even within the same species, and in theory those can change at times depending on any number of variables. Allergies can develop to things at any time. Consider bee stings. People with severe reactions to bee venom rarely exhibit it until at least the second sting, and often later than that. I have certainly met more than one person who "all of a sudden" was allergic to cats. Granted, cats are highly allergenic animals and reptiles are not. That's why it's an uncommon occurrence. But it does happen.

Old 01-17-2008, 05:24 PM   #10
melindaste
Something I just thought of, Last month I started pairing him with the female, could it be because of them mating and he is releasing something different now that he has been with the female?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!