Is She Pregnant? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-06-2011, 02:05 PM   #1
Michael Brown
Is She Pregnant?

My salmontine was introduced to my argentine late. At the beginning of may I introduced her to my argentine male. I noticed some courting, never notice copulation. I pulled him in 2 weeks, left him out for a week, then re-introduced for another month. I've noticed her in that typical "heat conserving ball" for most of her time. Now I've noticed her rolling her stomach a bit, like un-usual behavior. This is the first year I paired her. Here are some pictures.

Also one more quick question. What will a 75% argentine male bred to a Salmontine female produce?

One other small note. Since May she has not been fed except for once last week. I offered her a small rat that she seemed sort of interested in, nothing like her normal appetite. she ate it eventually thru out the night.
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2011, 02:16 PM   #2
Michael Brown
5 minutes later. She's turning alot.

Any advice please. This is the first time i've bred boa's. I've only bred colubrids which is obviously very different
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2011, 02:56 PM   #3
JCCS
Well, bad news is that she's not a Salmontine. She isn't a salmon boa and I don't see any amount of Argentine influence. The next part of the question is what I tell everyone that breeds boas, I can't tell you what's going on with her. Looking at her and hearing the description, I'd bet that she has something in her, but I couldn't tell you if it's slugs or what. Boas are a bit harder to predict than other snakes.

Knowing that she isn't a Salmontine, if you bred her to a 75% Argentine male, you're gonna get a litter of Argentine/Colombian mutts.

Chris

Old 07-06-2011, 03:07 PM   #4
AbsoluteApril
at first I thought that kind of looks like the pre-ov twist (pre ovulation) however that usually only takes place in the area of the ovaries and she's on her side almost right at the neck. With her being deep in blue right now as well, that seems a bit odd.. maybe she ovulated and getting ready for POS? You may want to try putting the male back in once she sheds and see if he continues to court? Perhaps she is just feeling uncomfortable going into shed, I've seen boas lay like this randomly as well that had nothing to do with being gravid.

I thought a salmantine was a hypo argiexBCi cross? She doesn't look like a hypo at all to me. Salmontine x Argentine would get more salmontine and BCixargentine crosses.

some reading for you:
http://www.theboaphile.com/article_files/1.html

Old 07-06-2011, 04:01 PM   #5
Michael Brown
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCCS View Post
Well, bad news is that she's not a Salmontine. She isn't a salmon boa and I don't see any amount of Argentine influence. The next part of the question is what I tell everyone that breeds boas, I can't tell you what's going on with her. Looking at her and hearing the description, I'd bet that she has something in her, but I couldn't tell you if it's slugs or what. Boas are a bit harder to predict than other snakes.

Knowing that she isn't a Salmontine, if you bred her to a 75% Argentine male, you're gonna get a litter of Argentine/Colombian mutts.

Chris
1. I have paper work for this girl. of the 15 Boa's I possess I have paper work for 2 and she is of the two.

3. The genetics on the snake was'nt my primary focus. My focus (since im new to boa breeding) is why my boa is turning to the side like that as I have never seen it before and I was asking for help from the community.

Quote:
you're gonna get a litter of Argentine/Colombian mutts.
4. Not really sure what you were implying from "mutts", but I took it as a negative comment. I don't really understand where the animosity came from but I was in no way shape or form trying to offend you from this thread?

Old 07-06-2011, 04:20 PM   #6
Snakesitter
Michael, I don't think anyone was trying to offend, just lay out the facts as they saw them. I can understand your reaction, but the defensive tone of your post might turn this an actual flame war rather than (however blunt) opinions on genetics.

I don't breed regular boas, I do Brazilian Rainbows, but if one of my girls was acting like yours I would suspect she had something going on. That said, April's point is an excellent one (man, I gotta stop saying that...I sound like such a suckup! ;-) ).

BTW, and intended only as polite advice, I'd be careful of publicly suggesting anyone mislabeled their babies without going to them in private first. I'm sure if you were in the breeder's shoes, you'd appreciate the same courtesy.

Best of luck to you in resolving this!

Old 07-06-2011, 04:56 PM   #7
Michael Brown
Theres nothing to really resolve.

Perhaps I misinterpreted James's tone from his first post, but to me it sounded condescending....for what reason?

I only asked for help or to be helped as I am a newbie.

I shouldn't feel like I need to defend the genetics of my boa because I asked why she's practically belly up.. should I?

I'm not mad, in anyway shape or form, and I hope that this comes out the right way, but perhaps I'll just google and browse next time before coming to these forums and asking for advice.

Thank you for this, I will print it out and read through it. I really do appreciate it.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:17 PM   #8
AbsoluteApril
'mutt' is a common term for crosses and locality crosses, I can't speak for Chris but I do not associate anything bad with that term although I know some people do.

I only questioned the genetics of your snake because it doesn't look hypo. Salmontine is short for Salmon Argentine (cross of salmon BCi and Argentine BCo that expresses the hypo trait). Was just trying to help.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:11 PM   #9
JCCS
Hi Michael, I wasn't trying to offend or condescend, I'm not a big fan of crosses or mutts, but do what you want. I will say that I don't care who called that snake a salmontine, it's not a salmon or hypo, which by definition makes it not a salmontine.

Now it could possibly be from a salmontine breeding and be a non-hypo sibling. I said that I didn't see anything to make me think it had Argentine blood in it, but that can hide.

The link that April provided is about as good as it gets as far as taking you through the breeding process.

Chris

Old 07-06-2011, 10:32 PM   #10
Michael Brown
I understand where your coming from.

But she is about 5-6 shades darker than she normally is. This is the deepest I've ever seen her in shed.

Also that light pink to whitesh belly she is showing is Barbie pink all up her lower section as well as on her stomach when she is'nt in shed.

I will post pics of her when she is out of shed,

Thanks for your time James, and I apologize for jumping the gun

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!