Will this work? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-07-2007, 07:17 AM   #1
Hleb
Will this work?

Hey guys.

I finally got my digital temp probe and I found out the log right under the basking area is over 120F (don't worry, my Beardie hasn't been kep like this for long, 4 days), but a spot to the left of it is 100F and this is where my Beardie likes to bask. Now I'm sure he'd prefer to be basking right under the light so I obviously want to fix this for him.

Now the problem is I can't find a lower watt bulb anywhere (mine is 60W at the minute), and as my enclosure is designed right now, I can't move the bulb any higher unless I make some adjustments.

Right now I've got two plastic sheets across the top of his tank, obviously with grills in so he can breath and the tank is well aired. But I was thinking of taking one of the plastic covers away and then stretching a big piece of mesh over the top of the hole, and then buying one of those light directors for the bulb (what are they called?) and then placing this on top of the mesh. Would this work? My only concern is that it might burn through the mesh? If not then I think it'd work and my Beardie's basking spot could be at the exact temp he likes.

Old 01-07-2007, 07:22 AM   #2
Cat_72
Um....your description of how you're thinking of raising the bulb has me a bit confused, but if you are talking about metal mesh/screen, it should not be melted by the bulb's heat.

Can you just put a lower log, or remove the log for now, to keep him from getting so close to the light? Did you check the cool side temps as well, to make sure those are cool enough?

Old 01-07-2007, 07:58 AM   #3
Hleb
I could do that for now, of course, but ultimately I want him to have something to sit on while he basks at the right temperature.

And the temps at the cool side are about 80F.

Old 01-07-2007, 08:12 AM   #4
melindaste
To me it sounds like your going to use some kinda mesh off of a roll or something. I would not do that not all meshes can take the heat. Tank lids should not be to exspensive, I would reccomend getting one put the light ontop of the lid and the UVA,UVB those I mount some how inside the tank. I use the flourecents and I wire tie them to the top of the lid.For me that works great.

Old 01-07-2007, 09:36 AM   #5
Hleb
What kind of tank lid are you talking about?

Old 01-07-2007, 11:08 AM   #6
melindaste
Are you using a glass aquarium? If so up to 55 gallons they make metal lids. If you built your own enclosure YOu could make a lid JUst make sure the screening can handle the heat.

Old 01-07-2007, 01:48 PM   #7
Hleb
But will the heat be able to pass through the metal lid?

Old 01-07-2007, 01:56 PM   #8
melindaste
For the Heat yes. The uva and Uvb I mount on the inside. I mount mine to the lid using wire ties and that works great.Ill Post a pic in a little bit so you can see.

Old 01-07-2007, 06:16 PM   #9
Hleb
That'd be cool, cheers.

Old 01-07-2007, 07:16 PM   #10
Cat_72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hleb
But will the heat be able to pass through the metal lid?
Just to be clear, it is not a SOLID metal lid, but one with a metal frame, with metal screen.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!