Albino Ball python getting red after breeding... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-19-2008, 07:48 PM   #1
CDAreptiles
Wink Albino Ball python getting red after breeding...

I am not too sure if this is the best place for this thread, but I didn't find a better place for it to go. I apologize ahead of time for any inconvenience.

Anyways....

For the past month and a half I have been breeding my male albino ball python to two females 100% het for albinos. The male bred successfuly with both females and both appear gravid. He has been eating without any problems and seems very active. The cage is in the proper temperature and everything else is as it should be.

A couple days ago I noticed that the male is getting a little red. His belly is a light shade of red where before there was white. He also has some red tint throughout his body. I have never really seen anything like this before, but the snake seems healthy....

Has anyone experienced the same thing at some point in time? What do you guys suggest I should do?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 02-19-2008, 08:38 PM   #2
Dennis Hultman
Definitely not a BOI topic. I moved it to the BP forum.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:06 PM   #3
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
uuummm.....
with no pics I can't be sure~ but I'd bet the snake is going into shed. They will get a little pink in the belly before a shed sometimes~ normals and morphs.
If your not seeing any other symptom~ wait and see. I'd bet he's beginning a shed cycle.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:10 PM   #4
filez41
That would be my guess as well. Albinos tend to get a little pink going into a shed. If it's more drastic than that, maybe post some pictures.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:27 PM   #5
CDAreptiles
I appreciate the ideas. Shed cycle was also my guess, but I have never noticed any other balls getting red so I thought I better ask. I will try and post some pics, but don't know how soon I can get around to doing so.

I apologize for placing this ad i the wrong place and appreciate you moving it Mr. Hultman.

Thanks th quick responses everyone!

Old 02-20-2008, 07:09 AM   #6
hhmoore
While a shed was my first thought, I immediately found myself wondering why this would be different than any other shed. I would suspect that, unless this was a recent acquisition for breeding, the poster would have seen the snake in shed before. (I'll grant that the degree of color change, like opacity, can vary from shed to shed, but this sounds pretty noticeable)

Old 02-20-2008, 08:07 AM   #7
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
While a shed was my first thought, I immediately found myself wondering why this would be different than any other shed. I would suspect that, unless this was a recent acquisition for breeding, the poster would have seen the snake in shed before. (I'll grant that the degree of color change, like opacity, can vary from shed to shed, but this sounds pretty noticeable)

Im thinking they just dont interact with their animals enough, or havent had them very long to see this happen during a shed cycle. ive seen all my critters turn a deep pink on the belly just as they start to turn opaque. ( not a bad thing, not messing with them, just if you dont mess with them, you sometimes miss this stuff )

Old 02-20-2008, 03:39 PM   #8
CDAreptiles
Thanks for the responses. This male is a recent acquisition. This is his first shed cycle while under my care. I interact with my animals daily and typicaly notce anything out of the ordinary. I find interaction rather important. I dont hold animals daily to reduce stress, but do try to look at everything daily. Thanks for the ideas.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!