liquid bandage OK? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-28-2007, 10:54 PM   #1
geckogrl6
liquid bandage OK?

Well, I have some drama at my house recently, and I am left with a girl with a pretty bad bite or two on her neck. The wounds are not bleeding, but more than superficial. My question is, on the back her neck is a small flap of skin that I would like to seal back down so it may heal nicely. Is it safe to use the liquid bandage stuff they sell for people? Would it be better to just use antibiotic and soaks (my usual treatment for smaller scuffle wounds)? I am a little concerned that it may be too wide to completely close on its own. Anyone?

Old 03-01-2007, 12:35 AM   #2
Bar None Reptiles
I had that problem once when one of my girls got a nasty bite from a big male. Not sure why he did it, but needless to say he has not been placed with anymore females since then. I cleaned it out REALLY well. I used nolvasan wash and silvadene cream that I picked up from the vet. Until I got her to the vet, since I was headed there anyway the next day, I just used that first aid reptile wash. It was a really bad bite and had the whole outer layer of flesh removed, sounds similar to what you have. It will heal back on it's own, just clean under the skin and then place it back as nicely as you can. It will heal back in place. If I look really hard I can still see the marks and the skin is slightly different. But I am the only one who notices since I know where she was bit. Keep it clean and she should be just fine.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:12 AM   #3
geckogrl6
Thank you. I was concerned about her eating the skin w/liquid bandage on it. I do have some silver creme stuff, so I will use that and my neosporin. Hopefully she will co-operate. The girls have been seperated of course, the "loser" of the fight will be maintained in quarantine-like setup until it heals sufficiently. I will try the silver creme-thanks again

Old 03-01-2007, 12:44 PM   #4
Bar None Reptiles
No problem! I would not trust the liquid bandage either. But it will heal up nicely with the ointments. My female got hit on her side where she could have easily ripped the flap of skin off if she wanted to, or even lick it. But it's been well over a year since it happened and she looks perfectly fine. It will just take some time to heal up and she probably won't skip a beat in between either. Just re-apply twice a day and she will be as gorgeous as ever before long. Thankfully the flap of skin never came off and went almost completely back into place. Sounds gross, but these things happen.

Old 03-03-2007, 10:14 PM   #5
geckogrl6
She seems to be on the mend. The smaller marks are closing and not really even pink anymore. You can still see the dots on the underside of her neck where the other's teeth went, but she is eating (Thank God!), resting, warm, comfy, and humid. The large flap tear I was concerned about is closing too. It looks like the very tip of the flap is getting black, and she may lose a peice of it, but I'm not as concerned anymore that it won't close on it's own. It is going well, thanks!

PS- D'oh on me- Wrong forum!

Old 06-01-2007, 11:16 PM   #6
reidb84
Bad bite

Yeah, I just had a female of mine lose a big chunk of skin from a male. The piece of skin seems to be dried up and the female also got vermiculite on the wound. I tried to clean it up but I could not get it clean enough to place the skin back on.. I put neosporin on the wound itself and left as is. Think the skin will just fall off or what??... Let me know what you think, Thanks

Old 06-02-2007, 12:31 PM   #7
geckogrl6
Maybe. I suggest using the silver cream they often use for burns. It seems to speed healing. If you haven't already, put her on paper towels and keep the tank CLEAN! She should be fine in a few sheds, just watch her.

Old 06-02-2007, 06:53 PM   #8
Dr Alan
You seem to have things under control here, but I did want to comment on the liquid bandage query.

With a fresh wound, if your goal was to close the wound and perhaps speed healing, I would be more inclined to use cyanoacrylate glue (Krazy Glue) as opposed to liquid bandage. The cyanoacrylate is basically the same compound that is used in surgical glues, while the liquid bandage material is designed to cover a sore spot with a relatively impervious barrier.

The cyanoacrylate can be used in some situations as an alternative to sutures or stitches. The liquid bandage is just that: a bandage.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!