BEWARE! Ron Billingsley left me hanging! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:50 PM   #1
oregonboas
BEWARE! Ron Billingsley left me hanging!

I contacted Ron on August 10th regarding some acrylic displays that he builds and sells. We spoke on the phone, the conversation was short, simple and to the point. I asked if he could build and ship me one of his 12x12 towers. I also made it very clear that I needed it for a local show on August 25th. His answer was yes, he would ship it out before he left for Daytona. I paid him via PayPal before the call even ended. The Monday following Daytona I had yet to recieve any packages or tracking info. I called him and he answered, I asked if my order had shipped. His answer was "It should have, I left it with so and so to do it. I will get a tracking number and call you right back." To my surprise he did not call back... at all! From this point on his customer service went from poor to downright shady! He would not answer my calls, return voice mails I left or even respond to my emails.

Of course I did not get my display in time, which was very disappointing. He offered no apology or explaination for leaving me hanging. The only thing I can say decent about the transaction is that at least he refunded my money on the same day I filed a PayPal dispute... Pretty bad that this is the POSITIVE part of the transaction! I would of much rather had a nice display for the show.

If you need any acrylic displays, I would strongly urge you to contact someone else!

Thanks for nothing Ron Billingsley!

Old 08-27-2007, 11:31 PM   #2
SPJ
Hmm. He missed a ship date on me too a while back. There was a small window of opportunity that would have allowed shipping a gravid female before the extreme cold temps came back.
I never got the animal but he did issue a refund right away.
Seems like he gets distracted and overwhelmed a bit.

Here is what went on with my deal with Ron.
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=94222

Old 08-28-2007, 12:23 AM   #3
Mike P.
Well I tried to purchase a ball from him earlier this summer - After negotiating the price with shipping, I also requested the snake be "held at location" via Fed-Ex, so I could go and pick it up myself before work in the morning rather than waiting for the 10:30 delivery...

He failed to tell me up front that the snake was not sent priority overnight, but was sent standard overnight for afternoon delivery, and also set it up as a home delivery instead of a hold at location.

Perhaps I was an ass to assume that the snake would be sent "priority rather than standard" - but he also screwed up the "hold at location part" as well...

In the end, he went back to Fed-Ex and picked his snake back up, and did refund my money that night - I too believe he may have been overwhelmed, but that's when you need to hire the extra help.

Short and sweet - "in my view", if shipping is included in the price, than that's "Priority Overnight" - If not, than be up front about it - and if you know how to set it up as a hold at location "which I was informed that it would not be a problem", than get that right too...

He did refund my money promptly though...

Old 08-28-2007, 04:56 AM   #4
hhmoore
though this is not specifically related to your issue with Ron, it deals with the FedEx portion of things. For a Hold At FedEx package, in many (if not most) cases it doesn't matter if the packages are "Priority" or "Standard". Those classifications refer only to the delivery process from the local FedEx to the recipient. Think about it - If I am shipping overnite from my location to, say, Denver, CO, all overnite packages leave FedEx at the same time. They go on the same plane to the main hub, then on to their final destination. It isn't until they get there that they are sorted for delivery, which is when that designation comes into play. It may play more of a role if the package is not being held at a FedEx station (for example, if it is to go to a FedEx Kinko's).

As for Ron, I have purchased from him in the past, with no problems. I recently placed an order for a 12" tower and some trays for my 9" tower, after being told he could get it out to me "by next week". I never got tracking info, and the package didn't arrive. Since, in my initial contact, I had specified the show dates for which I needed the tower, and I knew he was gearing up for Daytona, I waited til after the show to contact him. He notified me via email that he would be shipping the tower, and it should go out (this past) Friday...I should be able to update this by the end of the week with yay or nay.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:36 AM   #5
shrap
While this certainly was not a big deal in any way it rubbed me the wrong way how inconsiderate he was.

I advertised 100 weanling/small live rats for sale. Ron emailed me initially about them and then we talked by phone about them. He wanted them but was busy and could not meet me that day. Said he would not be free for 2 days. No problem.

2 days came and I called to reconfirm our meeting place and time right before I was walking out the door to meet him. He said something came up and he still could not meet me but he still wanted them. He said to call him again in 3 days and we would work something out. I called and Ron never answered. So I emailed him as well. I got a reply a couple of days later simply saying, "I already picked up some rats from someone else". That's it. No apology of any kind. No attempt what so ever to at least show a little remorse about wasting my time.

Again, while this is no big deal, it was enough for me personally to not bother dealing with Ron as a buyer or seller anymore. There are too many good folks out there that have respect for people and their time and dont treat people with complete disregard.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:42 AM   #6
Mike P.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
though this is not specifically related to your issue with Ron, it deals with the FedEx portion of things. For a Hold At FedEx package, in many (if not most) cases it doesn't matter if the packages are "Priority" or "Standard". Those classifications refer only to the delivery process from the local FedEx to the recipient. Think about it - If I am shipping overnite from my location to, say, Denver, CO, all overnite packages leave FedEx at the same time. They go on the same plane to the main hub, then on to their final destination. It isn't until they get there that they are sorted for delivery, which is when that designation comes into play. It may play more of a role if the package is not being held at a FedEx station (for example, if it is to go to a FedEx Kinko's).
My question about that is - Will they both be available for pickup at the same time, or since standard carries the lower price tag, are they than processed after the priority overnight shipments ? When I receive priority overnight - held at location, Fed-Ex states that they are available for pick up by 9am - I have been there by 8:15 after they open the doors and my package was ready to go. It's nice to be able to go down there 1st thing in the morning before work, rather than waiting for delivery...

Old 08-28-2007, 09:03 AM   #7
hhmoore
As a rule, yes, if they are being held for pickup, it will be available at the same time. I have had people ship Standard Overnight & picked them up when the doors open at 0830. That might not be the case it all locations, though - depending on where they are sorted, and how many stops it takes to get to the facility that is holding your package. Typically, though (at least in my experience) Priority and Standard Overnight packages leave FedEx at essentially the same time in the morning. The difference is that Priority deliveries are loaded on a different truck that follows a different route (yes, I have had both delivered to me on the same day...both showed, via tracking, to be out for delivery - scanned within 10 minutes of one another...the Priority package arrived at around 0940, the Standard was about 2 hrs later, with a different driver.)

Old 08-28-2007, 09:07 AM   #8
hhmoore
Mike - I am more than willing to continue this discussion, but it is not part of the topic at hand here. Feel free to initiate a thread in either Shipping or General Business.

back to Ron Billingsley

Old 08-28-2007, 10:49 AM   #9
ms_terese
I've purchased from Ron at a couple of shows (and he from me), and never had any problem with communication on some follow up issues. I think he's a good guy, but probably needs to hire some help. Not an excuse for the poor communication/service, just an observation.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:17 PM   #10
Gary O
I have dealt with Ron a lot. All my displays are from him. I buy animals from him. He is always upfront about whaat he is selling me. He will say that just came in. Or I got this from so and so. I have never had an issue. I talk to him atleast once a month.

I do know he was really really busy with all the daytona stuff. when My Brother called about some displays he said he had so many going that he could not get them to us before daytona.

I will be getting more from him. I LOVE the new style. And his towers are great.

I am sure Ron will make this right.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!