Vision V-18 tubs for Leopard geckos - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-04-2013, 12:35 AM   #1
kanozig
Vision V-18 tubs for Leopard geckos

Hello, I am planning on switching over from melamine racks to plastic. either c serpent or animal plastics... I really like the V-18 tubs that vision makes but feel it may just be a tad too small width wise... I think it is pretty common practice and acceptable that a adult leopard gecko can be housed in a standard 14"x11"-ish shoe box, like a sterilite 16 quart, I keep most sub adults in these and all trios of adults in 28Qs but want to make a switch, keeping everything separate, also, I plan on using the v-18s or sterilite shoeboxes for knob taileds, and u.milii...

bottom line the question is... for individual keeping and occasional introducing for breeding purposes... is a v-18 just too small? I am having a hard time visualizing it and am on the edge... any feedback? in general, for small to mid sized terrestrial geckos... v-18 or stick with 16 quarts?? hopefully this helps other people caught in the V-18/ 16q gecko guessing game!

V18= approx 7x18............. 25 sq inches
Iris shoebox= approx 14.75x10............. 24.75 sq inches
sterilite 16Q= approx 16.75x11..............27.5 sq inches

Old 06-07-2013, 02:44 AM   #2
NathanKS
hi Kano,

I have used a large number of different boxes in AP racks.

Vision tubs are very good, theyll last forever. something i cannot say for rubber maid or sterilite. They are very heavy however and allow less light then most commercial boxes.

I do not think that the v18 is large enough despite having a good floor space. when you add in food dish, water dish, calcium dish and hide you rapidly eat up the space. when the height is only 3.5" many geckos will have a hard time getting into them. on top of that the 7" width is too narrow for any leopard over 90g IMHO.

the v18 most closely resembles a 6q box and not a 16q one.
http://www.sterilite.com/SelectProdu...=252&section=1

on the subject of nepharus geckos, while i do not think there would be a major problem i would advise against doing it as height is going to severally limit the sand bed depth you can create. In my experience with geckos like delani, levis, and vertabrilis they need the deeper sand bed and take advantage of it.

so ya, go with 16q tubs and sorry if this is all jumbled up.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!