Bet you've never heard this question before... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 10-23-2004, 01:03 PM   #1
jsrocket
Bet you've never heard this question before...

Some of my snakes love to eat birds (english sparrows). As in most places, these are considered "nusiance birds", and are not protected by any laws. So, I often shoot them with a pellet gun when it's feeding time. When I feed them to the snakes, the pellet is still inside the bird. Could the pellet be potentially harmful to the snake? I use a .177 cal lead pellet. Thanks, Ritchie

Old 10-23-2004, 11:38 PM   #2
FireDrake
YESS!

Ack stop doing that!!
This is how raptors get lead poisioning, by eating birds that are full of lead shot. Even if it's not lead you dont want metal in there, its just no good!

Old 10-24-2004, 12:41 PM   #3
jsrocket
oops

Yes, I should have known....

Old 03-25-2005, 09:59 PM   #4
The BoidSmith
Let's assume you can remove the pellet (after all it's just one). One other concern would be parasites and bacteria. Sparrows are known to carry internal nematodes, coccidia, and salmonella. Freezing them will take care of some of the problems but not all of them.

Regards.

Old 03-25-2005, 10:05 PM   #5
Wilomn
Buy cockerel, baby chicks. Way better than sparrows. I've got some snakes that LOVE chicks but I would never feed them wild birds.

Old 03-25-2005, 10:41 PM   #6
The BoidSmith
Yes, I agree. Besides baby chicks are inexpensive ($0.70) and they don't have the tough feathers of an adult sparrow, that can sometimes be difficult to pass with the feces.

Old 08-23-2005, 04:40 PM   #7
coyote
Rodentpro also has quails.

I have an asian redtailed rat snake that will NOT eat rodents. It gets quail chicks. And they come in different sizes just like rodents.

Old 08-23-2005, 05:22 PM   #8
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote
Rodentpro also has quails.
And chicks at $0.15 apiece when on sale. My gila monster loves their chicks, as do some of my pythons.

Old 11-27-2005, 01:55 PM   #9
matt rand
aside from the lead (read kauffeld's account of lead poisoning in the snakes at staten island), parasites, and bacteria, think of all the places the sparrows land and feed everyday! parking lots, treated lawns, landfills, ashtrays, and the like are great places to pick up numerous toxins.

your snakes must have well exercised livers.

matt

Old 11-29-2005, 08:15 PM   #10
jsrocket
Yeah, I quit doing that shortly after posting this thread. Way too many potential problems. I've got them switched over to FT rodents these days. They seem healthy and fine.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!