Simple questions about PA's - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-04-2004, 02:08 PM   #1
Down
Simple questions about PA's

FWIW, I did search on this, but I found nothing here...and KS has the most worthless search function I've stumbled upon.

What are the diffs between a PA and a patternless? It seems most PA's are brighter than regular patternless', but I've also see some light colored patternless' that looked like PA's, so I wonder if that's more of a "grade distinction".

When breeding, do they fall into the same category as other recessive traits? IOW, if you breed 2 that have both traits, will you have the 1 in 4 chance of getting PA's, or are they more elusive (like the Blazings)? Is there better success with double homo's than hets?

How can you tell between patternless and Pa's when they're hatchlings?

I'd appreciate any and all answers, I'm planning on getting into breeding and am trying to decide if I wanna go the PA route or hypo route.

J

Old 06-04-2004, 03:00 PM   #2
KelliH
I'll do my best to answer your questions.

Quote:
What are the diffs between a PA and a patternless? It seems most PA's are brighter than regular patternless', but I've also see some light colored patternless' that looked like PA's, so I wonder if that's more of a "grade distinction".
Patternless albinos are different from regular patternless because, obviously, they are an albino. A nice patternless albino will be bright yellow in color with orange on the tail base, and a pinkish-white tail. They also have light colored eyes with red veins, some have pinker eyes than others. colored eyes. Here are some examples for you:

compared to a regular patternless

hatchling:

and here is a photo that shows how variable the patternless albinos can be, pictured is the nicest one I ever produced alongside with an average one.

Quote:
When breeding, do they fall into the same category as other recessive traits? IOW, if you breed 2 that have both traits, will you have the 1 in 4 chance of getting PA's, or are they more elusive (like the Blazings)? Is there better success with double homo's than hets?
When breeding patternless to albino you will produce double hets that carry both traits. If you breed these double hets together, you will -statistically speaking- have a 1 in 16 chance PER EGG of hatching a patternless albino. Obviously the odds are much better when breeding albino het patternless to patternless het albino etc.

Quote:
How can you tell between patternless and Pa's when they're hatchlings?
Here is a hatchling patternless albino:

and here is the only pic of a hatchling patternless I have. It is kind of a darker one, but it does show the difference I think.

Hope this helped!

Old 06-04-2004, 04:20 PM   #3
Down
Thanks, that helped alot.

One other question-
You said the chances would be better when crossing a patternless het albino with an albino het patternless. First of all, while it makes sense, I didn't know that it mattered.
What about the chances if you were to breed a PA with another PA, how are the chances then? The same as the scenario you laid out?

Thanks,

J

Old 06-04-2004, 08:32 PM   #4
KelliH
Quote:
You said the chances would be better when crossing a patternless het albino with an albino het patternless. First of all, while it makes sense, I didn't know that it mattered.
Well, what I said was, your odds for producing a patternless albino increase when breeding visual morphs het for the other trait (albino het patternless, patternless het albino) rather than breeding two double hets together. Your statistics improve quite a bit in fact.

Your best bet would be breeding a patternless het albino to an albino het patternless because that way any normal appearing offspring would be definite double hets. If breeding two patternless het albinos together (or two albinos het for patternless together), you would end up with a lot of possible hets.

Albino het patternless x albino het patternless:
results- 25% patternless albino
25% patternless het albino
25% albino 66% possible het patternless
25% 66% possible double het patternless albino

Albino het patternless x patternless het albino:
results- 25% patternless albino
25% albino het patternless
25% patternless het albino
25% double het patternless albino

I think that's right. If not I'm sure someone will correct me. It does get kind of confusing when dealing with double recessive traits.

Old 06-04-2004, 10:00 PM   #5
Down
I see what you're saying.
I guess I didn't state my question clearly enough. I was wanting to compare offspring from these 2 possible pairs-

__________________________________________________ __
Option #1-

Albino het Patternless
+ = ?
Patternless het Albino

Option #2

Patternless Albino
+ = ?
Patternless Albino

I know the genetics calculator I've used shows 100% Patternless Albino for Option #2, and you've already stated results for Option #1. I was just wondering what the breakdown might be from #2?

Thanks,

J

Old 06-05-2004, 02:33 AM   #6
aliceinwl
The genetics calculator is correct all of the offspring produced by a patternless albino bred to a patternless albino would be patternless albinos.
-Alice

Old 06-05-2004, 04:22 PM   #7
Down
Quote:
Originally posted by aliceinwl
The genetics calculator is correct all of the offspring produced by a patternless albino bred to a patternless albino would be patternless albinos.
-Alice
Can anyone else attest to this?

J

Old 06-05-2004, 04:28 PM   #8
KelliH
Patternless albino x Patternless albino results in 100% patternless albinos.

Old 06-05-2004, 04:35 PM   #9
Down
THANK YOU!

I was beginning to get discouraged at the thought of dropping several hundred dollars on a small breeding group for a 1 in 16 chance.

You guys have made my day

J

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!