leopard gecko blind - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 06-16-2006, 04:41 PM   #1
unarmored
leopard gecko blind

when i went to university this last year, i entrusted my mom and brother with taking care of my leopard gecko. evidently, they had not, because when i got home there was dried skin encrusted all over his face and eyes that he had not been able to get off. i gave him a warm sauna today to get the skin off, and to my horror and dismay the skin covering his eyes has left him blind in both eyes.

does anyone have any good ideas on making his life more comfortable?

Old 06-17-2006, 12:44 PM   #2
crotalusadamanteus
Really sorry to hear about that. It sucks when you entrust someone to care for something close to you and have something happen to it. Recently been there myself with a boa.

You might try this other forum here. It's specifically for leopard geckos.........
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...play.php?f=149

Just a stab in the dark, (never owning a leo before) but it may be a temporary thing. Having the caps retained for so long may have stopped the ones underneath from properly forming. Give it a couple sheds and see if any improvment.

Good luck
Rick

Old 06-17-2006, 12:59 PM   #3
A_Kendergirl
Leos are eyelided geckos, they don't form eyecaps.

How do the eyes look? Have they clouded over? Are you sure it's totally blind? Blind geckos can still live a good life, but it takes work and dedication. You'll most likely have to hand feed it. If he's still finding the food on his own, his eyes may not be as damaged as you think.

Old 06-17-2006, 03:12 PM   #4
crotalusadamanteus
Well now you see why I sent Him to the leo forum.

Old 06-17-2006, 05:07 PM   #5
A_Kendergirl
LOL, if you hadn't, someone surely would have.

Old 06-18-2006, 03:39 PM   #6
unarmored
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Kendergirl
Leos are eyelided geckos, they don't form eyecaps.

How do the eyes look? Have they clouded over? Are you sure it's totally blind? Blind geckos can still live a good life, but it takes work and dedication. You'll most likely have to hand feed it. If he's still finding the food on his own, his eyes may not be as damaged as you think.

yeah, they're clouded over. i've been feeding him waxworms and he seems to be finding them alright.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!