Hyper-Melanistics - PIC - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-01-2003, 11:48 PM   #1
Monte
Thumbs up Hyper-Melanistics - PIC

This is what I would call a "Hyper-melanistic" - a leo which is predominately black. The goal a lot of us are working for is a solid black leo. I'm not sure how easy that's going to be, since some think that a lot of the Hyper-melanism is produced by lower temperatures. I tend to disagree in principle, but acknowledge that producing a good, dark hyper-mel male is extremely difficult, given that they are produced by higher temps ( which often produce brighter animals).

My goal this year will be to try and produce a dark hyper-mel male that can continue this project a little further.

Just thought I would share.
Attached Images

Old 03-09-2006, 03:08 PM   #2
Ian S.
Very cool!!! sounds like fun. I really think the mac snows are going to help us in the search for an all black leo. Only time will tell and best wishes with your project.

Old 03-09-2006, 04:52 PM   #3
dragonflyreptiles
Very cool! I have several that are just black and tan, no real color, i was going to sell them, hmmmmm you have me thinking now!

Old 03-09-2006, 10:37 PM   #4
geckogrl6
Hmm, I guess I may have to change Freckles' name to hyper-melanistic. She is at least that dark. Perhaps I should sell her for the project?

Old 03-09-2006, 11:13 PM   #5
Goanna
All I know is if you guys can produce all black leos, I want one, lol. I always liked solid black or solid white animals.

Snow Balls, Blizzard Corns, Mexican Black Milksnakes, Brazilian Black Tarantula, etc, etc, etc .

Old 03-10-2006, 12:06 PM   #6
USAGECKOS
Very cool project Monte!

Old 03-10-2006, 12:24 PM   #7
Jeremy Letkey
Since no one else has mentioned it... I guess I will. Monte's orinional post is now over 3 years old. I do not believe that he is any longer persueing this project. He has since moved to working with mostly Rhacs.

Old 03-10-2006, 01:08 PM   #8
USAGECKOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Letkey
Since no one else has mentioned it... I guess I will. Monte's orinional post is now over 3 years old. I do not believe that he is any longer persueing this project. He has since moved to working with mostly Rhacs.

I really have to start looking at the dates

Old 03-10-2006, 04:55 PM   #9
dragonflyreptiles
Me too and I should know this because I bought Monte's last gecko when he sold them all.

Old 03-10-2006, 05:18 PM   #10
Ian S.
LoL... yeah!! "Mental note to self, check dates"

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!