prolapse in male gecko, hemipenis (thanks for your help) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-23-2006, 11:40 PM   #1
gurnie
prolapse in male gecko, hemipenis (thanks for your help)

Okie dokie I guess background on the gecko would help first right?

I've owned my male for over a year, saw the little guy grow up. When the east coast snow storm last week hit, i had to take my geckos (two girls and a boy all a year old and all owned for a year) and put them all in a cage together and put them near the fire place. Power finally came back on and they all seemed to get along fine so i decided to leave the three together.

So i just got back from a business trip today, been gone since saturday but my mom claims that blood started to show up in the cage monday or tuesday (why she or my dad never mentioned this over the telephone when i talked to them, i am clueless). So i put some honey on it. I'm a bit concerned because the humid hide had been dry and his prolapse still seemed still wet but there was ALOT of blood in the cage.

Is there anything else i can do for the little guy? He's hanging out in the humid hide right now, i have put honey on it twice in the past oh, 2 hours. any advice is much appreciated
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2006, 10:36 AM   #2
gurnie
yeah so today it seems alittle drier i put more honey in it and gently tried pushing it in, but i really am unsure how to do it, so i didn't try too much or too hard...

Someone please, any advice is great.

Old 02-24-2006, 10:45 AM   #3
Cat_72
I'm not a Leo person, but I've been told that using Preparation H (hemmorhoid cream) can be applied to help reduce the swelling.

I'm thinking that a visit to the vet may be in order if he's had the prolapse for this long already.....hopefully a "Leo person" can help you more....

Old 02-24-2006, 10:47 AM   #4
BalloonzForU
How's the color of the hemipenses look now? You don't want them to dry out, just get the swelling down. Try a warm soak and some Prep H. Keep him on moist paper towels. My vet told me to try to push it back in and I told him, I'll bring them male in and you do it....LOL I was afraid to hurt the little guy. Do you have a herp vet? I would take him in and see what they say. If the tissue is too damaged they may recomend amputation.

Old 02-24-2006, 11:06 AM   #5
gurnie
Looks about the same, still pinkish with a little bit of black in that one specific area, but the area was a bit dry when i got up for work this morning because the dork was sleeping on dry paper towels. I put a big gob of honey on it before i left for work and I won't be able to check on him till about 6 pm when i arrive home tonight.

I have prep-h at home, it's "cooling relief" is that going to be any problems?

When i try to put it back it, should i lift up the vent and then try to nudge it in?

I'm trying to get a hold of a friend that lives close by who breeds leopard geckos, she'd know of herp vets close by.

how painful is this for the gecko? i can't imagine my ovaries popping out, ouch

Old 02-24-2006, 11:07 AM   #6
gurnie
Sorry to post again, how much would amputation run. I'm POed, my folks are going to pay for some of this since they neglected to tell me my gecko was sick

Old 02-24-2006, 11:21 AM   #7
BalloonzForU
Each vet can be priced different. My male's total was $316.00, but that was for three different surgeries trying to save and not amputate. So each surgery with gassing, and over night stay was about $100.00. I was willing to pay what I needed to try to save the tissue, in the long run we made the decision based on not know if the one hemipenes would be viable for breeding.

Old 02-24-2006, 11:24 AM   #8
Sarah H
This guy is in Vienna, he has been good when I have had to take anyone in -
Welcome to SEAVS
703-281-3750

Did you try soaking him in sugar water or the preparation H? I seems like it has been awile though I woud give the vet a call.

Old 02-24-2006, 11:38 AM   #9
gurnie
they quoted me between $475 and 675, which is just, unbelievable, i can't afford that, I am applying for a morgage and about to put a down payment on a condo. I just hope that this can be taken care of by me, there's just no way I can pay that.

Old 02-24-2006, 01:06 PM   #10
gurnie
called another vet, they reccomended

they said wash it w/ warm water, apply the KY, see if it goes back in by itself, soak him in warm water for 20 min 2 X a day

Janice Raab, DVM 703 654 3100 open tomarrow till 8pm

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!