prolapse in male gecko, hemipenis (thanks for your help) - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-03-2006, 04:03 PM   #31
BalloonzForU
I would suggest seperation of at least 3 months. Even though he's now a she (sorry couldn't resisit) he may still try to breed, and may cause it to not heal completely. My guy is on rest till next year, even though my vet said three months.

Old 03-03-2006, 04:05 PM   #32
BalloonzForU
Oh, I forgot! Glad that is doing good and on his way to being happy and painfree again. Great job mommy!

Old 03-03-2006, 04:19 PM   #33
gurnie
Thanks for all your help, you were very kind to take time out of your day to offer help. 3 months is do-able, not a problem there. what are signs that the operation isn't taking well?

After he's healed, since he has testies, will he still have the urge to... hump and bump? Is there any satisfaction to that? lol

And for those who read this (after their geckos have prolapsed and they are in the early stages) i know what I paid for might frighten you. I only paid so much because the vet was kinda in a ritzy area and I live VERY close to washington DC, so inflation might be higher here than some places. that's probably why there are such extreme differences in prices. best bit is to use that herp vet website and talk to the vets and use one that has a price that is more in your comfort zone (and how professional they act.)

Old 03-03-2006, 04:38 PM   #34
BalloonzForU
Signs of problems:

Excessive bleeding
Swelling not going down
Puss or discharge

Old 03-03-2006, 04:43 PM   #35
BalloonzForU
You are very welcome. That's why we all come to this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurnie
After he's healed, since he has testies, will he still have the urge to... hump and bump? Is there any satisfaction to that? lol
Satisfaction...LMAO....I don't know about that, wish they could talk.

He may try to breed you never know.

Old 03-08-2006, 01:53 PM   #36
gurnie
***update***

***UPDATE***

So it's been about a week since his surgery. He doesn't seem to be eating as of late, but he did shed. He weighted 67 grams when i took him into the vet, not sure what his current weight is but he's still big.

theres something i think is strange though

Everytime i pick him up he whips around (not strange) but he'll "expell" from his bottom a clear liquid that is without smell. Sometimes a urate follows with this liquid.

Today when applying neosporin (i apply it twice a day) there seemed to be a "pouch" or a "bubble/pocket" of clear fluid barely poking out of his vent.

Also is there suppose to be a tiny bit of the hemipenis slightly sticking out of the vent?

Old 03-08-2006, 05:01 PM   #37
BalloonzForU
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurnie
***UPDATE***

Everytime i pick him up he whips around (not strange) but he'll "expell" from his bottom a clear liquid that is without smell. Sometimes a urate follows with this liquid.
Some geckos will do this when they are not happy about being picked up. Mostly males will do it. Don't think that's anything to worry about. He may be a little sore still and just doesn't want to be handled.

Quote:
Today when applying neosporin (i apply it twice a day) there seemed to be a "pouch" or a "bubble/pocket" of clear fluid barely poking out of his vent.
??? Anyone want to touch that one. I'm stumped.

Quote:
Also is there suppose to be a tiny bit of the hemipenis slightly sticking out of the vent?
My guy only had a single amputation, with a double I'm not sure if that happens or if he needs to be looked at again, to make sure it's where it should be.

Old 03-08-2006, 05:18 PM   #38
gurnie
Hey you, how are you

Well i remember when i dropped him off the vet suggested a check-up to see how he is doing. He is looking alot better compaired to last week (it dripped blood occationally and just looked like a bloody mess. Doesn't look half as bad, just not sure what I should be looking for.

So this fluid that he's "flinging" at me, is it urine?

Maybe i should give him another week or two.

How long did it take for your guy to start eating again?

Shedding i think is a good sign.

Old 03-08-2006, 07:22 PM   #39
Keith Campbell
Thumbs up "bubble\pocket"

I have not seen your gecko, but I would be worried about any fluid filled pocket on any reptile, this may be an abscess?? An abscess is a secondary infection of sorts. Did you receive any antibiotics from your vet? This would help him along the recoup time. If you haven't any you should get back for a recheck with the vet anyways. If he is shedding that should be a good sign. Try some different foods to stimulate the appetite. Have you tried Phoenix worms? Our leopard gecko would wait in his bowl for days after feeding these. Hope this helps

Old 03-08-2006, 07:37 PM   #40
Lizard Lair
After my blazing blizzards prolapse operation he was off his feed for about a week and a half, but is now chowing down to make up for lost time.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!