Grey banded feeding? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-04-2008, 04:57 PM   #1
soopadoopa
Grey banded feeding?

Hello all. Thanks for putting together such a great forum for us newbies to learn from. Among a few others, i bought a baby grey banded kingsnake at the Daytona show (the 23rd of Aug.). That Monday, I was able to get him to eat by leaving a thawed pinky in with him overnight. I tried again this Tues. and a time or two since then and he shows no interest. Am i expecting him to eat to soon, or do i keep working at it? My other three babies have eaten twice since that weekend. Thanks.

Old 09-13-2008, 04:35 AM   #2
WJS Herps
Hi David -

Sometimes these guys are problem feeders when they are babies. There are a whole series of tricks people use. Most of the ones I have are adults, but a pair of babies I bought last year required a little work (they had never fed). A friend suggested I try putting them in deli cups and taking them for a ride. Believe it or not, they both ate after doing this. The female kept eating, the male was still a little stubborn. I starting scenting his pinkies with a live anole and gradually scented less and less until he ate the pinkies unscented. Hopefully, these suggestions might help you. I have also heard people say that they will gently assist (force) feed a meal or two and cool the babies and they sometimes come out of brumation with an appetite.

Bill

Old 09-13-2008, 10:55 PM   #3
soopadoopa
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. In fact he was going into a shed and I didn't realize it. I was hopeful that he'd be ready to eat a day or two later, but no such luck. It's going on four weeks since he ate. According to the seller, he had already eaten several times, and he ate once for me. I'll leave him a pinky again tonight, and then tomorrow move on to, a ride? In a car? How long? Then maybe force a small part of a pinky to get something in him if that doesn't work. When you say brumate, what does that entail, just turning off his heat? For how long? Again, thanks. I really like him and he's warming up to me, which is more than I can say for the Pueblan Milksnake, who just LOVES to sling .......Stuff all over me.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:22 PM   #4
Kingetula
I bought a Rosy at Daytona that took 3 weeks to eat. I also have a Hognose that has stopped eating but I know is fine. (Been about 4 weeks since he ate) I also had a E. Diamondback that went 3 months without eating.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:23 PM   #5
Suncoast Herpetological
Quote:
Originally Posted by soopadoopa
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. In fact he was going into a shed and I didn't realize it. I was hopeful that he'd be ready to eat a day or two later, but no such luck. It's going on four weeks since he ate. According to the seller, he had already eaten several times, and he ate once for me. I'll leave him a pinky again tonight, and then tomorrow move on to, a ride? In a car? How long? Then maybe force a small part of a pinky to get something in him if that doesn't work. When you say brumate, what does that entail, just turning off his heat? For how long? Again, thanks. I really like him and he's warming up to me, which is more than I can say for the Pueblan Milksnake, who just LOVES to sling .......Stuff all over me.
Hi David

I am pretty sure that i am the seller on this one. You and I spoke a couple of weeks ago and I suggested he was going into a shed. With reacclimation to a new environment, I would probably give a live pink a try. I feed both depending on availability but Graybands are always very inclined to take live over frozen.

Absolutely DO NOT forcefeed him. He has already demonstarted that he will eat on his own, several times for me and once for you. Force feedng is something you never do except as a last resort. It stresses the animal and can prevent voluntary feeding going forward.Brumation will not be necessary either as long as he is eating. i never brumate neonates. Why lose the steady growth potential?

One thing that has been said is correct. A grayband with good weight can go a fair amount of time without feeding with no ill effects. I would pop a live pink in late in the evening and let him have it overnight. I am confident it will be gone in the morning.

The setup should be something like this:

A couple inches of aspen chips or shavings on the bottom. A waterbowl and good hidebox for security, and a warm spot in the cage up to about 86 with an ambient around 80.

Email me again if you continue to have an issue but i think this will do the trick

Old 09-14-2008, 08:49 PM   #6
soopadoopa
Thanks so much for the info. With that, I'm feeling a little better. Guess I just got caught up in thinking that they're more high maintenance than they are. Plus, I've been guilty once or twice of being paranoid. Gonna slow down, read this thread a time or three more, and get a live pinky in the next week.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:53 PM   #7
Kingetula
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoast Herpetological
Hi David

I am pretty sure that i am the seller on this one. You and I spoke a couple of weeks ago and I suggested he was going into a shed. With reacclimation to a new environment, I would probably give a live pink a try. I feed both depending on availability but Graybands are always very inclined to take live over frozen.

Absolutely DO NOT forcefeed him. He has already demonstarted that he will eat on his own, several times for me and once for you. Force feedng is something you never do except as a last resort. It stresses the animal and can prevent voluntary feeding going forward.Brumation will not be necessary either as long as he is eating. i never brumate neonates. Why lose the steady growth potential?

One thing that has been said is correct. A grayband with good weight can go a fair amount of time without feeding with no ill effects. I would pop a live pink in late in the evening and let him have it overnight. I am confident it will be gone in the morning.

The setup should be something like this:

A couple inches of aspen chips or shavings on the bottom. A waterbowl and good hidebox for security, and a warm spot in the cage up to about 86 with an ambient around 80.

Email me again if you continue to have an issue but i think this will do the trick
Do you agree with the post in the other forum that babies normally go 2.5 to 3 months without eating their first meal and then all of a sudden go? I'm just curious if other Grey breeders feel the same.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:02 PM   #8
Kingetula
Quote:
Originally Posted by soopadoopa
Thanks so much for the info. With that, I'm feeling a little better. Guess I just got caught up in thinking that they're more high maintenance than they are. Plus, I've been guilty once or twice of being paranoid. Gonna slow down, read this thread a time or three more, and get a live pinky in the next week.
I think many of us have programmed are brains into thinking snakes MUST EAT every 4 to 10 days and when they miss a day we freak out. They are not like a dog that must eat or it will die soon. The healthiest snakes go off feeding for periods of time. Sure we all would love to have that one snake that eats every mouse like it's his last but not all snakes are the same.

On that note my Rosy was put in to a 4 foot cage and didn't eat for 3 weeks as I said. I put her into a 1 foot plastic shoe box and 2 days later she ate. Go figure... I give her a CASTLE and she prefers the STUDIO APT! Just remember young snakes are prey and want to hide and feel secure. Try a shoe box and a good hide if your paranoia doesn't get better my friend ;-)

Old 09-23-2008, 06:29 AM   #9
WJS Herps
Hi David -

Any word on how things are going with the feeding? I am overseas right now, so I can't check as often as I like. Hope it is chowing down for you now.

Bill

Old 09-26-2008, 04:54 PM   #10
soopadoopa
No, thanks for asking but he he hasn't eaten yet. Still seems healthy and active. Unfortunately I don't have a reliable source of live pinkies nearby. The last one I was able to get was MUCH too big for the kingsnake. The milksnake enjoyed it, though. I'm still attempting a F/T weekly.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!