Venomoid Envenomates NJ Man - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:34 AM   #1
wcreptiles
Venomoid Envenomates NJ Man

"...and thought their venom sacks had been removed." Bought the snake Monday and was bitten on Monday night.

Quote:

Fair Lawn man is hospitalized after being bitten by pet cobra
Published: Tuesday, February 01, 2011, 9:21 PM Updated: Tuesday, February 01, 2011, 9:21 PM
By The Associated Press

FAIR LAWN — A New Jersey man remained hospitalized today after he was bitten by his pet snake.

Fair Lawn police said 25-year-old Eric Bortz bought the albino Monocled Cobra, an eastern diamondback rattlesnake and a copperhead snake in Pennsylvania on Monday and thought their venom sacks had been removed.

Sgt. Rich Schultz said the cobra bit Bortz on Monday night after he reached into its container to feed it or otherwise handle it.

After Bortz began to experience severe respiratory problems, he was taken to St. Joseph's Medical Center in Paterson and then to Jacobi Medical Center in the Bronx, N.Y., which has a snakebite treatment center.

Schultz said Bortz's wife told him today that her husband wasn't able to speak but that he was responding to her non-verbally.

An animal control officer removed the snakes from the home today, and they were being examined by the state's Division of Fish and Wildlife.

According to Schultz, state and local authorities were looking into the purchase of the snakes and whether the seller violated any laws.

"The concern right now is removing the snakes and hoping this guy recovers," he said.

Schultz didn't identify the seller or where the snakes were purchased.

More Fair Lawn news:
© 2011 NJ.com. All rights reserved.
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...pitalized.html

Old 02-02-2011, 11:32 AM   #2
Will0W783
That's a shame. And you know what's going to stick in the public's mind? Not,.."oh that poor guy got duped", but "Oh evil deadly snakes! Why would people keep them?" More bad publicity for the herping world. People need to know what is legal to own in their areas and what is not, and practice responsible keeping...he should never have reached into the cobra's enclosure, regardless of whether he thought it'd been de-venomized.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:18 PM   #3
NJ Serpents
1. Its illegal to own any venemoid or hot in this state.
2. I would love to know if this was the case of poor surgery or he just "ass-u-med" that it was a venemoid b/c the seller said so.
3. Why would you reach into the enclosure? aaaaawe, its hood is up, he wants to be pet...how cute! WTF?!?!?!?
4. Please refer back to #1.

You know, this is only going to reflect poorly on responsible snake keepers in the state, and prove to strenghten any opposition to L-E-G-A-L ownership of snakes. Further, this example will be used to strengthen the opposition in other states where it IS legal to own hots/ venemoids.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:55 PM   #4
Will0W783
The owner is a classic case of:

Old 02-02-2011, 02:13 PM   #5
Lucille
Darwin was so right

Old 02-02-2011, 02:41 PM   #6
hhmoore
I wish they'd identify the source of the venomoids (not necessarily the person that sold them....the person that did the surgery) - I'm sure most in this general area have a suspicion. I doubt I'm the only one that would like to see the accusing light cast in that direction.

A small part of me thinks that I probably should feel some compassion toward the bitten party....but I don't. Granted, he was probably told that the snakes were totally safe to handle; but that just makes him gullible - which really isn't that much better than being the idiot that sticks his hand into the cobra's "container".

On the other hand, if it should come out that he was knowingly sold intact snakes represented as venomoids, the seller should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Unfortunately, I can't say that it would come as a surprise to find out that some "tested" his devenomized snake and (after seeing that it was producing venom) decided he'd better get rid of it.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:14 PM   #7
Will0W783
Quote:
On the other hand, if it should come out that he was knowingly sold intact snakes represented as venomoids, the seller should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Unfortunately, I can't say that it would come as a surprise to find out that some "tested" his devenomized snake and (after seeing that it was producing venom) decided he'd better get rid of it.
I agree, Harald. Someone either knowingly misrepresented the snakes, or can't be trusted as a venomoid producer. I'm still not sure how I feel ethically on the whole venomoid thing, but regardless of the right/wrong of devenomizing a snake, it should not be sold as such if it has not been proven to be. Furthermore, anyone buying a venomoid should still treat it as though it is intact...you never know and if the surgery was not done perfectly, the glands can regrow.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:11 PM   #8
EdwardK
I'm kind of surprised that people are accepting the guy's word that he thought it was a venomoid... While still illegal in the state without a specific permit, lying about it at least would get you some sympathy in the community (much more than simply getting tagged by a hot snake)....

I'm not convinced that he thought it was a venomoid.. When I worked as a Keeper at the Philadelphia Zoo, we had to supply antivenom for a timber bite that according to the guy occured while walking his snake in a park in Philadelphia... Supposedly his dog found the snake and he stuck his hand in the way to prevent it from biting his dog...

Ed

Old 02-02-2011, 06:29 PM   #9
EdwardK
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardK View Post
that according to the guy occured while walking his snake in a park in Philadelphia... Supposedly his dog found the snake and he stuck his hand in the way to prevent it from biting his dog...

Ed
That should have said while "walking his dog" not walking his snake..

Ed

Old 02-02-2011, 06:34 PM   #10
gsrept
The fact of the matter is it does not matter weather it was a venamoid or a loaded cobra they should still be treated as a poisonous snake and handled as such. if he has no experience with venomous snakes he should have never been sold that animal, or should have it been shipped to a state that prohibits them. both the buyer and the seller are at fault and the only one being hurt by this is our hobby.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!