Columbus Show is Getting Crappy. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shows & Events

Notices

Shows & Events Since these are such a big part of our business, it is appropriate that we discuss them from a business perspective.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:47 AM   #1
chimpkin
Columbus Show is Getting Crappy.

I have been visiting the Columbus monthly show for about two years now and I have seen a major decline in quality. I went on last Saturday (Aug. 11th) and the instant I walked in I was greeted by a man trying to peddle an alligator with its mouth taped shut. He was letting kids pet the thing. Anyone who has visited this show knows what I am talking about.

I have also noticed a decline in vendors and attendance. On any given show date there are really only 4, maybe 5 vendors that I would even consider buying from. It feels more like a Flea Market than a herp show.

The show has amazing potential. The promoters need to do the following:
1. Find a new building. (Nicer, bigger building)
2. Book more quality vendors.
3. Do not allow outside animals in, without purchase of vendor license.
4. Some more advertisement couldn't hurt.
5. Basically: Clean it up, Get rid of stragglers, try and remove the "Flea Market" atmosphere

Do this and I would gladly pay more for entry. Does anyone else want to vent on this subject? This is the closest show for me to drive to and I would love to see it get better.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:49 AM   #2
RJBILBY
Columbus Show

While I do agree this show could use some improvement I don't agree on some other points. I have thought they could use a bigger, nicer area for some time now. It was much better at the National Guard Armory building. I don't think you should stop letting people bring things to sell and trade to the other vender's. I think the other vender's also like picking up some good deals from these people, themselves. They should just enforce their "all animals are to be caged" rule. I also think that if the truth comes out all the shows have a decline in vender's and buyers this time of year. A lot of the casual buyers lose interest in indoor pets in the summer and would prefer to do outdoor activities. And the regular buyers and vender's are waiting for the bigger yearly shows this time of year (like Daytona to name a name). So I think you would see a decline in all the monthly shows this time of year. I have been attending this show for many years and have seen it's ups and downs. I definitely would not like to see it go because it is one of if not the longest running monthly show in the country. Some minor improvements and it could be one of the best. I've been to many others on a monthly basis that do not compare to this one at it's slowest. Just my opinion.
Rick

Old 08-13-2007, 12:04 PM   #3
chimpkin
Based on your response I will modify my previous statement. Trading should be allowed but strictly regulated. I mentioned before no outside animals without a vendors license. How about this instead: People with animals to trade must check them in on a list (Name & type of animal) and be subject to a higher entry fee. Maybe $8.00.

Lets face it, many of the people bringing animals to the Columbus show are taking advantage of the lack of management. They are trying to peddle animals and thus taking business away from the vendors. I cant believe the vendors haven't taken action against the management for being so lax.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:38 PM   #4
curteye
I don't think asking everyone who brings an animal to the show needs to register it.1st off it would lead to longer waits to get in.secondly most animals brought to the show by individuals are more frequently sold or traded to vendors than to other people.thirdly this a show for herp hobbiest to interact and show off thier animals and make contacts.to say there are only 5 people you would buy from is an unfair statement to many that set up there.remember this is a local show and a chance for local people to sell and buy reptiles. if you want to deal only with the top breeders in the nation then dont go to local shows and save your money for daytona and the like.also as stated earlier by somebody summer shows are always slower and the old building was nicer.If you increase the price to enter you will simply drive away more people,the opposite effect of what you want.if you need to place blame somewhere then try blaming the state.the show has never been the same since thier raid a few years back.smaller breeders need a show and the fact that you don't know them or they are not a large well known breeder does not mean they don't produce quality animals.everybody has to start somewhere and most start out at the local level.remember the reason many come to the shows is to save money over regular retail prices.i'm sure robbie hamper is doing the best he can to keep the show running as smoothly as possible.i have been going to the show for 7 years now and have seen it's up's and down's but overall it is a good show and if you dont like it go to indy or cleveland and see if you like them better!

Old 08-13-2007, 12:56 PM   #5
chimpkin
I like the show and I still buy animals from there. As a matter of fact I picked up a long awaited snake there on Saturday. I will still continue to go to the show. I am just highly annoyed by some of the things that go on there.

Imagine you go to the show to and find a ball python you have been dying to have. You pay $500 and get the snake home only to find out that it has a problem. How would you feel if you found out that the breeder just bought that snake from an individual an hour before you came to the show then re-sold it to you. See what I am getting at?

You can't tell me that you wouldn't be mad if that happened to you.

I have been to other shows that don't seem to have the same problems. I don't know what would be the best policy, I just know that there should be some policy. As of now it is Free Game.

Old 08-13-2007, 02:43 PM   #6
Murphy
I was at the show on Sat for the first time in over 6 yrs. Having lived in Jacksonville, FL and attended a couple shows there, I have to say the Columbus show was like Daytona compared to the show in Jax. I went for the sole purpose of picking up an order of rats from my rodent supplier, but also to see "how" the show had developed over the years since my last visit . I am a ball python hobbyist and it was pretty cool seeing the array of different morphs (that was something you didn't see at the Jax show), particularly the Pastel G-Stripe, Pastel Ghost, and Pewter as I have never seen these in person, but not to exclude all the other reptiles as the majority of them looked great and so did the vendors tables. Next time I go, the wife will not go with me as she was getting a little irritated with the "cramping" and unfortunately, I was unable to meet/visit with a few of the vendors that I was wanting to converse with due to her wanting to leave so soon. With that said, I, too, would like to see a bigger atmosphere. But my biggest complaint is like yours, Shayne......the way outsiders brought in their animals. The gator at the door did set the mood, but the guy walking around with the retic topped it off. I thought that was very uncool and stupid. I don't care how well one "knows" their animals, they're animals. Even a 6ft retic can deliver a nasty bite if stressed to that point due to the "excitement". I think those that bring animals to the show for trade/sell should have them boxed/bagged/crated/SECURED.
Overall, I wasn't disappointed though. I will go again.

Old 08-13-2007, 02:57 PM   #7
curteye
I AM SORRY THAT YOU PURCHASED A SNAKE FROM A VENDOR WITH A PROBLEM .WHAT TYPE OF PROBLEM DID YOU ENCOUNTER? IF IT WAS SOMETHING OBVIOUS AND EXTERNAL EITHER YOU ,THE ORIGINAL SELLER ,OR THE VENDOR THAT RESOLD THE SNAKE TO YOU SHOULD HAVE SEEN IT PRIOR TO PURCHASE.IF IT WAS SOMETHING INTERNAL IT IS POSSIBLE THAT THE ORIGINAL SELLER AND/OR THE VENDOR DID NOT KNOW OF THIS CONDITION.UNFORTUNETLY SOME TIMES THINGS LIKE THIS OCCUR.DID YOU CONTACT THE VENDOR TO SEE IF HE WAS WILLING TO DO ANYTHING FOR YOU? MANY PEOPLE WILL BEND OVER BACKWARDS TO MAKE THINGS RIGHT. IN THIS INDUSTRY YOUR REPUTATION IS VERY IMPORTANT AND CAN MAKE OR BREAK YOU IF YOU ARE A SMALL BREEDER ESPECIALLY.I CAN ONLY HOPE YOU DON'T PRE-JUDGE THE BULK OF THE PEOPLE AT THE SHOW AS A RESULT OF YOUR UNFORTUNATE DEAL.GOOD LUCK IN THE FUTURE AND I HOPE THINGS WORK OUT FOR YOU.

Old 08-13-2007, 02:57 PM   #8
chimpkin
Yeah man, What will happen to the show when a 10 foot retic draped around some idiots neck bites a kid in the face. Hello lawsuit, Goodbye Columbus show.

I am fairly certain that none of what is being discussed here will make a difference one way or another. But if anyone out there knows the promoters of the show, please mention these issues to them.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:05 PM   #9
curteye
I WAS NOT AT THE SHOW ON SAT BECAUSE I HAD TO WORK.ROBBIE HAMPER RUNS THE COLS AND CLEVELAND SHOWS AND OVERALL DOES A GOOD JOB I THINK HE JUST NEEDS TO CRACK DOWN ON THE UNCAGED ANIMALS.I HAVE TO AGREE THAT A 6FT RETIC UNCAGED IS A LAWSUIT WAITING TO HAPPEN.IT IS NOT A MATTER OF IF IT WOULD BITE SOMEONE BUT RATHER WHEN.AS ALL SHOWS THERE IS ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT BUT OVERALL IT IS A GOOD SHOW AND ONE OF THE LONGEST RUNNING.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:09 PM   #10
chimpkin
Curteye, I didn't buy an animal at the show that was sick. I was giving an example of what it would be like to be ripped off by a vendor who is reselling an animal that was allowed to be brought in from the street.

For the record: I have purchased 9 snakes from the Columbus show in the past two years. All of them are healthy and I have never had a problem.

Whats with the all caps? I hope you are not mad. You sound like you may be taking it personally.

Listen, I am just stating some peeves that I have with the show. Take it with a grain of salt. Some people may agree and some might not. I respect your opinion. These are things that I mentioned to try to make a better show and environment for everyone that goes.

If it will help smooth it over, we can meet up at the next show and I'll buy you a beer afterwards. I promise I didn't mean to offend you.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!