Website design project. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > New or Updated Websites and Web Resources

Notices

New or Updated Websites and Web Resources General notices about a new website or a newly found one worthy of note. You can introduce your new website here as well.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:55 PM   #1
lcchavez
Website design project.

So this is a website I'm working on. It was designed using frontpage.

http://hognosefarm.com/index.htm

Any thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks,
Louie

Old 02-22-2010, 11:04 PM   #2
mmdragons
looks good not to bight text or back round look sweet. I love front page how did you publish it ??

Old 02-22-2010, 11:08 PM   #3
lcchavez
I published it by using ftp.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:23 PM   #4
mmdragons
what?

Old 02-22-2010, 11:31 PM   #5
lcchavez
You need the ftp code from the webhosting account to publish it. This usually involves setting the website for frontpage extensions to be activated and then you need to have user access. Kinda like a hotmail account. That allows to upload your files and have them shown as a webpage. Hope that makes sense. Thanks for the comments!

Old 02-22-2010, 11:31 PM   #6
TripleMoonsExotic
Love the Hoggies! The banded Albino is awesome! I really look forward to your husbandry page. I don't see a lot of care information posted on Hogs, so any well written article on Hogs is always a plus.

As far as the website itself...

FrontPage became obsolete in 2003. Microsoft ceased supporting it and it requires special settings in your hosting to be able to use...These special settings conflict with modern coding (PHP5 for example) and are considered a security risk by many hosts.

I'd suggest you head over to W3C to learn a bit about proper coding. Tables should not be used for layout. They were created for tabular data and their misuse has been quite the headache of web developers for years. Within the next few years, modern browsers are going to drop table layout support completely and you would have to start over from scratch anyway. This is my favorite articles about table layout - LINK! Here is another pretty good one.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:42 PM   #7
lcchavez
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic View Post
Love the Hoggies! The banded Albino is awesome! I really look forward to your husbandry page. I don't see a lot of care information posted on Hogs, so any well written article on Hogs is always a plus.

As far as the website itself...

FrontPage became obsolete in 2003. Microsoft ceased supporting it and it requires special settings in your hosting to be able to use...These special settings conflict with modern coding (PHP5 for example) and are considered a security risk by many hosts.

I'd suggest you head over to W3C to learn a bit about proper coding. Tables should not be used for layout. They were created for tabular data and their misuse has been quite the headache of web developers for years. Within the next few years, modern browsers are going to drop table layout support completely and you would have to start over from scratch anyway. This is my favorite articles about table layout - LINK! Here is another pretty good one.
Thanks for the input! Very informative! I had Dreamweaver on my last pc but it crashed and all I have now is frontpage. For my own site I have been publishing it on Sitebuilder which is very basic web design software but it has worked great for now. I will have to look at those links a little closer to learn more about them when I'm not so tired. What program do you use for web design?

Old 02-23-2010, 08:32 AM   #8
TripleMoonsExotic
TextWrangler. I actually do this for a living, so I hardcode everything. WYSIWYG programs (even Dreamweaver) don't always output valid, standards-compliant code.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:03 PM   #9
charleshanklin
I don't know about this site, just seems to need more text or pics or something.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:37 PM   #10
lcchavez
I agree! If only I could get some more text and some decent pictures from that guy that owns the site! lol! I won't hold my breath!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!