DTS Herps, Inc...inquiry - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:29 PM   #1
MDC_Ophiuchus
DTS Herps, Inc...inquiry

I'm really torn about this right now...

In this past week, Ive seen 2 ads for snakes that I have really really wanted for some time. Regrettably though, they are all offered by DTS Herps, Inc. Without going into details that many of you are probably aware of right now, Dan Scolaro and DTS has had a lot of stuff said about them of late, and most of it is negative.

So here's the cons: I really prefer to stay away from anyone who allegedly has IBD in their collection. Yeah, it may or may not be the case, but like someone said in another thread, "where there's smoke, there's fire" and there seems to be a lot of smoke surrounding Dan.

However, all of the snakes I desire are colubrids, and last I checked, IBD has only been observed in boids. Plus, these are really good deals (which really mean nothing except I really want these snakes!)

So my main questions are: 1.) Do you think I should take the risk and get these snakes that are very hard to come by?...and 2.) despite recent allegations regarding IBD, what has others experience been like dealing with DTS? Hows the customer service? P & P? etc

Thanks for any feedback,
Michael Crabtree

Old 05-23-2008, 12:58 PM   #2
ravensgait
Mike, if you have to ask us then you already know the answer.

Dan, have far more problems than the possibility of IBD, his customer service sucks, his TOS is written so that no matter what happens he thinks he isn't responsible. The guy has 'Don't Buy From Me' written all over him..

If you do decide to buy find out your states consumer laws, as they trump anyone's TOS...Randy

Old 05-23-2008, 05:54 PM   #3
MikeCurtin
To buy from DTS at this point shows a willful disregard for everyone who has or will have their collection or their wallet put in jeopardy by this man. I think I gave him more of the benefit of the doubt than most others, but funding a shady operation such as this is pure negligence! Please find someone reputable...this hobby does not need Dan Scolaro around any longer than absolutely necessary.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:32 PM   #4
FubbyFifi
I have bought from DTS Herps before. He did send me some good stuff at first but then I bought some various herps from him like pueblans, corn snakes, rhino vipers, basically a pretty sizeable order. I lost all the corn snakes, the rhino vipers, and the pueblan milksnake. He also sent me the wrong sex puff adder and I bought another pair from another breeder. When we discussed the sex of the puff adder at first he was helpful in reassuring me that the one I got from him were the right sex. When I finally probed them it turned out that I had 2 males. After I brought it up to him he changed his tune and said that he was pretty sure that I got the wrong sex from the other breeder. All he offers for a garauntee was to sell me another one at his cost. Basically he does not offer a garauntee, just a discount on another animal. The baby rhino viper died within a week and he says that he has a week garauntee on his animals. He blamed it on my husbandry and said I was keeping my animals in very dirty conditions. I have been keeping herps for 16 years and I really take very good measures to make sure they aren't staying in their own filth. I have sent off pictures of animals right after they have defecated but cleaned up the cage right afterwards. Even though I work 2 jobs I make sure I have time for cleaning no matter what. I thought he was a good guy at first but now I would no longer do any sort of business with him again. I am doubtng that the het for coral albino boa that he sent me is het for anything. That boa is still having problem regurgitating and I keep him in the same conditions as I do my other boas. He is more of a middle man then anything else and I think he should find a better supplier and honor his garauntees. I made some posts before sticking up for him and now I really regret doing so. He is not a person that will admit his problems. If he would have just said I'm sorry for your lost I would have been fine with that but attacking my cleanliness was just uncalled for. I work 2 jobs and don't have much money and for him to take my hard earned money is just very low. I would be very aware of him. There are more reputable dealers out there. They might not be easy to find but the board of inquiry is a great place to check people out.
Lary Vongsavanh

Old 05-23-2008, 07:42 PM   #5
lanceheads
Randy, Dan's customer service never sucked for me. He sent me well represented animals that were healthy and If I ever needed to make a follow-up call to ask him anything, I recieved straight answers and no BS!
Of course, I only bought Venomous Snakes from him, and they were terrific!

And still are, to this day.

Randal

Old 05-23-2008, 08:00 PM   #6
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensgait
Mike, if you have to ask us then you already know the answer.
I could not have said it better.

Don't read what anyone else says. Read what Dan says to his customers and others. Do you want to be treated like that in the event of a discrepancy? The guy is mentally unstable and doing business with him is risky.

The animals that you want will turn up from a reputable breeder, not a two-bit jobber, soon enough.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:26 PM   #7
critical bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDC_Ophiuchus
However, all of the snakes I desire are colubrids, and last I checked, IBD has only been observed in boids. Plus, these are really good deals (which really mean nothing except I really want these snakes!)

Thanks for any feedback,
Michael Crabtree
You are incorrect when it comes to IBD as being only observed in boids.

With all the legitimate complaints (even a new one to pop up on this thread), the credible proof provided of IBD, and just the way Dan has responded so poorly to his customers, you really need the snakes that bad to take such a risk?

All good things come to those who wait. You really don't need them as badly as you think.

Old 05-24-2008, 12:08 AM   #8
MikeCurtin
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanceheads
Randy, Dan's customer service never sucked for me. He sent me well represented animals that were healthy and If I ever needed to make a follow-up call to ask him anything, I recieved straight answers and no BS!
Of course, I only bought Venomous Snakes from him, and they were terrific!

And still are, to this day.

Randal
It's very good to see you've had good experiences in the past. This is not a loaded question, but please ask yourself this honestly. If you had not had past experience w/ DTS, but only had the BOI to go by (his posts and others), would you do business with him at this time? If so, please explain. BTW, I won't give you any about your response either way.

Old 05-24-2008, 01:05 AM   #9
ravensgait
Wow Randal, seems you are one of a lucky handful that can say that. Funny how the thousands of customers Dan says he has had don't seem to show up here to comment on their transactions but you do... I guess you just missed all the complaints others have made here about Dan, and you surely must not have seen all the post he's made showing just what an ass he really is.. I think I've mentioned this to you before but will again.. Funny how you seem to get along so well with the scum of this hobby.. Yeah I know just posting your opinion but then so am I.. I don't find myself here defending scum just outing it ...Randy

Old 05-24-2008, 08:25 AM   #10
lanceheads
Randy,
I would bet there are thousands of customers in the reptile community that don't know about the BOI. I bet there are thousands who are aware of the BOI and care not to participate.

I have not missed the complaints about Dan. I stated that my transactions with him were good, and I stand by that.

And furthermore Randy, I'm glad your doing your part in "outing" scum. Keep up the good work. And likewise, I will stand up and defend those who do right by me.

Randal

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!