Gray-Banded King feeding - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-20-2003, 07:09 PM   #1
SoundableCrane
Question Gray-Banded King feeding

I have two gray-banded kings (1:1) that were previously vigorous feeders. For the last two weeks however they have declined feeding. Temp is constant, they are not in shed, both are about 6 months old, and food is the same (pinkies and fuzzies).

Any ideas as to what to do to stimulate their appetites again, or what may have caused the decrease?Feel free to email me at lndlafrance@hotmail.com

Old 11-20-2003, 09:27 PM   #2
WebSlave
Back when I used to work with Coastal Plain milk snakes, I had a devil of a time with them in the late summer and early fall. They KNEW when it was time to brumate, and it didn't matter what the temps were, or what tempting food morsels I offered them. They knew it was time to be chilling down, so they were uninterested in feeding.

Maybe it's visual cues, such as shortened daylight hours, or any number of other things that we don't have any way to detect ourselves, but this time of year, some reptiles are just going to go off feed, no matter what we try to tell them.

If you can, once they have been without feed for three weeks, try chilling them down for a while. Normally when you warm them up again, the appetite gets turned back on.

I can't say for sure this is the situation with your animals, but that's what I would do here if I knew they were healthy and there were no other extenuating circumstances involved.

Good luck.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!