help! mold in vivarium - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 02-10-2004, 12:36 PM   #1
john_159
help! mold in vivarium

I have white mold growing on a long over the water area of my tank. What should i do?

Old 02-10-2004, 01:24 PM   #2
KodiakWood
I had the same Problem Its from lack Of air Movement or bad venting its really hard to say what the cause is ..... maybe a little more info on where the mold is forming ...if it growing on the water its self ..change the water more often ..if its on the walls or ceiling its from no air movement.

Old 02-10-2004, 01:25 PM   #3
emroul
Hey, this isn't where this is supposed to be posted, so maybe one of the admins or mods can move it to its correct location.

In the meantime, I'm pretty sure that white stuff isn't mold. It sounds like a hard water stain that doesn't come off without some hard cleaning. I don't know exactly what you can use to get it off, maybe someone else can help you with that. It isn't harmful to your animals if that is what you're concerned about, it just doesn't look very appealing.

To prevent this, keep the water level above the plastic lining that you see around the top of the tank...

Jennifer

Old 02-10-2004, 03:17 PM   #4
john_159
well its actually on some ghost wood, mainly within grooves, but the wood is directly above the small pond area. There are some greenish parts to the mold also.

Old 02-24-2004, 01:29 PM   #5
Glenn Bartley
This does not sound like hard water stains to me; it sounds like mold or mildew. Heat should kill either. You can place many types of wood (you did mean this was a log and not a "long" didn't you) into a preheated oven on low heat for about an hour. This should only be done by a competent adult, who realizes this is a potential fire hazard, and who will monitor the process sufficiently.

As for preventing it in the future, better ventilation may do the trick; but if the set up is one in which you require high humidity, then maybe that is not an option. Choice of wood would likely alleviate the matter; some woods are rather resistant to mold but you need to check that they are acceptable for use with herps. Avoid cedar. You might also try weekly cleaning of the wood.

As to this:
Quote:
Hey, this isn't where this is supposed to be posted, so maybe one of the admins or mods can move it to its correct location.
I was wondering, where is the correct location for this thread?

Old 03-16-2004, 11:28 PM   #6
merciful
refer to the thread at the top of the page

i responded to your other ad about the mold. just you somehertz dog shampoo(3-4 drops) mixed with water in a spray bottle or let it soak in the same solution. only pyrethrin based not perethrin.i have used it for 6 years , and never had a problem .

Old 03-16-2004, 11:30 PM   #7
merciful
correction

just use some "hertz dog shampoo"

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!