Mold in driftwood - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-25-2006, 03:41 PM   #1
Brenda777
Mold in driftwood

I cleaned my driftwood in bleach and water and let it dry in the sun. I thought it was completely dry but where the wood was broken off in the inside I saw something that looked like bluish white. Which I assume is mold. Is there anything I can do to save the piece of driftwood? I just hope none of my other pieces are like that. I didn't see anything the other pieces but this is a light piece of wood and the other are not. It is easier to see in the lighter wood.

Old 06-25-2006, 03:53 PM   #2
Cory_Best
Can you scrape what you think is mold off? If it was soaked in bleach water the mold should be well on it's way to being gone. Just be sure to let the driftwood dry out completely. Any trapped moisture in the wood will create more mold.

Old 06-25-2006, 05:00 PM   #3
Brenda777
It didn't have mold until I soaked it in bleach and then let it dry outside. I had thought it was completely dry till I noticed the mold. It's in groves in the wood that can't just be wiped off. The only thing I can do it cut it off but I don't know if it's anywhere else.

Old 06-25-2006, 05:35 PM   #4
Dachiu
Are you sure its mold and not residue from the bleach?

Old 06-25-2006, 06:25 PM   #5
Brenda777
Thats possible. I am not sure what it is. I thought I rinsed it good enough but it's hard when you have a lot of holes. Should I re rinse in hot water and try to dry it out again?

Old 06-25-2006, 06:48 PM   #6
Rebel Dragons
I would give it another good rinse and then let it dry. The stuff your seeing is probably not mold. The bleach would have killed it. I have seen bleach lighten and change the color of wood before. That might be what happen.

Old 06-26-2006, 08:23 AM   #7
Brenda777
Talking

Oh I hope so, its a nice piece of driftwood. I just hope it stops raining today and gets hot enough to dry the driftwood. I haven't rinsed it yet but I need to know if it will get hot enough outside first. Thanks for all your help.

Old 06-29-2006, 02:13 AM   #8
dragonchick88
Also Brenda when yuo rinse the bleach off..I forgot to tell you this a while back...when you do rinse it off use a scrub brush too, that will help gwt the bleach residue off pretty good, but dont use the scrub brush you used when bleaching and cleanign the wood off. Use a seperate one...as for the hole in the wood try using a baby bottle cleaning brush with the "nipple" brush at the end..the nipple end should be small enough to shove in the holes to clen them out..try that and tell me how it goes!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!