Another question for the experts! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-31-2006, 04:47 PM   #1
a1littlesister
Red face Another question for the experts!

As I have posted before I have 2 babies, Abbott & Costello. Abbott is the very laid back type that lets nothing bother him and is up for anything. From the very beginning Costello has been very timid and skitish. I think I posted before about him being afraid of crickets for awhile. He got over that and has been doing great. Yesterday he started acting strange and clawing at the walls of his tank, rubbing his head on the newspaper and just not acting right. This lasted for about 30 min. I thought he might be seeing his own reflection in the tank so I took a towel and coverd up that end. Well today about the same time as yesterday he started doing the same thing. He is shedding again so didn't know if that makes them do strange things like that.
I really apperciate any help or advice...you are all so helpful. This is also makeing me a little worried about taking them on vacation with me if he keeps acting that way.

Thanks again
Alexa

Old 08-31-2006, 05:12 PM   #2
clarinet45
If he was rubbing his head on the floor, he's probably shedding and that is completely normal. As for 'seeing his reflection', mine glass-dance randomly and sometimes without reason. IF they are doing it constantly though, check the temps and such. Sometimes it just takes the babies a little bit to 'get' glass.

Old 08-31-2006, 06:53 PM   #3
Brenda777
Sounds like he is shedding. Mine will do that a lot when they are shedding. They will rub, climb the walls go back and forth through anything that they can rub on. You know how it is when you get sun burn and start peeling. It will drive you nuts until it stops.

Old 08-31-2006, 06:59 PM   #4
a1littlesister
I'm thinking your right on the shedding thing. I was so scared that he was getting that blockage I have read about where it paralyzes the back legs...he was holding them funny...that I plopped him in some warm water for a bit hopefully to make him poop. But his skin kind of came off instead. He is much calmer now and demanding crickets. I have also introduced them yesterday to wax worms...only a couple for each. I hope that didn't make his tummy hurt or something. Just one of those many Dragon quirks I'll have to get use to I guess. I'm sure I'll have lots more panic attacks and questions before they get a year old..lol.
Thanks for your help.

Old 08-31-2006, 08:55 PM   #5
Brenda777
I know what you mean. I am still new to dragons and and always asking someone for information including the breeder. She says I am a worry wort and I am doing fine. She says as long as they are gaining weight and eating good they should be fine. I give them the necessities they need. But I can't help help stressing out a lot when it comes to by babies.lol

Old 08-31-2006, 09:00 PM   #6
Cat_72
Brenda, I think most breeders would rather have you be a worry wart and know that you are truly concerned about taking proper care of your critters, than not worrying when there could be a real problem. it's nice to see owners that care so much.

Old 08-31-2006, 10:05 PM   #7
Brenda777
Thanks, the breeder told me the same thing. She said she is glad I ask a lot of questions and is glad to know they went to a good home. I try my best is all and treat them like my babies.

Old 08-31-2006, 10:11 PM   #8
a1littlesister
I treat mine like my babies too...I have no children but lots of animals...lol. There are a lot of legs in this house of mine.. We have 3 dogs, 3 cats, 2 degus, 2 beardies and one short tailed possum. But I seem to worry more about my beardies i guess because I have wanted one for ages. Ask for one but have 2..lol. These guys are really unique I'm so glad I got them along with a few more grey hairs from worry.

Old 09-01-2006, 07:53 AM   #9
Brenda777
I have 3 small dogs (big personalities), 3 bearded dragons and 3 children. Whoops I mean 2, I guess you can't count the husband.lol He never new I liked lizards till he came home one day and I had them. I'm hoping my 18 year old will some day move out. I will get my sewing room and possible huge enclosure.lol I will probably be 80 before that happens.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!