PayPal add-on fee right here!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 09-27-2004, 10:44 PM   #1
Double "D" Reptiles
PayPal add-on fee right here!!!

I took the following ad right off of the classifieds only a moment ago. You'd think that with all the posts in recent months about how wrong this is...in so many different ways...that folks who frequent this site would refuse to suggest that the buyer add an extra 3% or so to cover their end fee. So, you decide for yourselves.

-------------------------------------------------
CB Adult Breeding size FEMALES!!!
I just purchased a group of CB adult females from a professional breeder. These are NOT imports, NOT WC, NOT LTC, and not burned out breeders. They are all CB right here in the U.S. These are clean females that range from 1600-2000 grams. Check my references on this site.
I can't keep them all so a few are available. I will provide pics of each on a scale ASAP. I will not be able to ship any out until next week. Shipping is extra, Next Day service.
I'm considering offers over $400. These females should breed for you this year,no problem. I'm counting on this from my keepers that are all in the same weight range.
PayPal (+3%) or US Postal Money Order
Thanks for reading my post
John Quinones aka John Q

Yep, I highlighted the blatant violation of PayPal's TOS. I've never met John and don't know enough to say anything about his animals, quality of service or basic business practices other than what I see posted occassionally. But, I refuse to consider any animals which are sold with this practice in place. Won't even look twice.

David

Old 09-27-2004, 10:58 PM   #2
MGReptiles
I know of several breeders that charge that fee. Even if your shopping on ebay youll see it. I used to do it but have since stopped. Its more of a hassle than it is worth. I was thinking today why dosent paypal just charge a monthly fee and then tack on extras for larger items...HHMMM maby we shoudl start a petition...lol
-Matt Graybeal

Old 09-27-2004, 11:04 PM   #3
Vince
maybe he was just not aware that its against paypal TOS? did you email him and let him know? most just add that amount to the S & H charge. alot of people just see others doing it and thinks it is the norm.

Old 09-27-2004, 11:50 PM   #4
Bighaze
I might be showing my age here, but do you all remember when gas stations would charge $.05 more per gallon for credit cards? The gas stations that had the same price cash or credit, got most the sales, and sooner or later they all stoped charging the extra $.05.

To tell the truth I see why you would add the 3%, I'm not saying it's right, but I do understand why one would do it.

I think most people add it in some how, shipping, or in the price of the snake, Like if you have bad credit and go to a buy here, pay here for a car, you don't pay any interest on the loan, it's already figured in the price of the car.

To someone like me 3% isn't alot, but if your selling snakes that go for $2500, then 3% is $75, I don't know too many people that want to just give away $75(If you do just e-mail me and I'll be happy to take it lol).

Like I said I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but I do understand why some one would add it.

Old 09-28-2004, 01:45 PM   #5
SPJ
The add on fee is a deal killer.
If I see that in the ad, I ignore it and go elsewhere.
There is no reason to charge the extra.
It is a cost of doing business.

I prefer paypal for payments and would NEVER ask for the additional money.

Too many people are starting to add it on because they can get away with it. It is a violation of the TOS and IMO shows bad business practices.

Charge waht you are willing to take for the animal when you take into account the paypal fee.
OR
Charge a minimal box charge (it better be a brand new box if you use this option) to cover the packing and paypal fees.

No matter what, I will not deal with anyone who charge the paypal fee. That is a cost for the seller, not the buyer.

Old 09-28-2004, 02:23 PM   #6
Bighaze
It's like I said the ones that didn't add the $.05 per gal, got the most sales.

I would also not deal with someone who says they will add the 3%, but I can see why they do it. yea it is the cost of doing business. just like how you got to pay to take credit cards.

Would it be wrong to give a 3% discount to people who pay with a postal MO?

Just asking, Like I said I'm not saying whats right or wrong!

Old 09-28-2004, 03:35 PM   #7
ms_terese
Quote:
If I see that in the ad, I ignore it and go elsewhere.
There is no reason to charge the extra.
It is a cost of doing business.
I agree completely. As a buyer, I will never consider doing business with someone who goes against PayPal's TOS like that, nor would I ever consider trying to make up that 3% elsewhere when I sell an animal. Things such as Visa/MC fees, PayPal fees, shipping supplies, etc. all have to be figured into your sale price for animals that you sell. It's Business Management 101.

While I don't think it's wrong to offer a discount for a money order, is it worth waiting 5-7 days for that other 3%? How long do you wait for the money? If they're required to send it NDA, they really won't be saving anything. If not, you can wait a week or two while hearing "it's in the mail" and lose other prospective buyers.

Old 09-28-2004, 03:46 PM   #8
Bighaze
Yea I see what your saying. 3% isn't alot and I don't think the wait would be worth it.

I'm a few years from selling,breeders got to get old enough, but I do see what your saying.

When I do sell I'm not going to ask for 3% or give a discount for mo's.

It was just a thought I had.

Take care!

Old 09-28-2004, 04:24 PM   #9
NEWReptiles
When I see that BS about adding 3% I instantly make the decision NOT to deal with that seller.

I just had a guy try to stick me on a trade deal worth about 8 grand. It was a trade plus cash deal and the fee was only $60, but I told him to take a hike. So over a $60 fee the guy lost a $8,000 deal.

I will not deal with ANY seller that tries for the extra 3%

Quote:
WELL SAID !

Old 09-28-2004, 09:06 PM   #10
Double "D" Reptiles
Thanks

Well, even though I suppose I started this in the wrong forum (the BOI) since it was moved almost as soon as it was posted, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who feels this way. I see some folks chiming in who's opinions I pay attention to due to their apparant maturity and carefully planned business methods and ethics. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who feels this way.

David

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!