Bad Guy Warning: Austin Deine and Juliah Deine - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:39 AM   #1
MissFirefly
Exclamation Warning: Austin Deine and Juliah Deine

This is a warning post about Austin Deine (real name Austin Sheldon) and Juliah Deine (real name Julia Silkman) from Hooksett, NH who stole a bag of carnivore care from my rescue and attempted to claim a refund on vet services that were paid for by my rescue. Additionally, after surrendering a bearded dragon due to an admittance of an inability to pay vet care were shortly trying to purchase breeding groups of reptiles.

The timeline of events are as follows -

December 2, 2015 - Started a conversation with Austin about accepting a bearded dragon into our rescue in his possession that he could not afford vet care for as the animal was showing signs of moderate-to-severe MBD (attachment #1). Agreed to accept the animal and a vet visit was scheduled for December 4th by Austin, under Juliah's name, that my rescue would pay for as we need documentation from a vet before transporting the bearded dragon from New Hampshire to Massachusetts.

December 4, 2015 - Called the vet in the morning, explained what we needed from the visit, and left our credit card information to cover the cost of the exam. That evening, checked our credit card statement online and noticed the bill was over $200. Tried calling but the office was closed. Messaged Austin on Facebook and he indicated they did blood work as well (attachment #2).

December 5, 2015 - A volunteer picked up the bearded dragon from Juliah Deine at approximately 10:00 AM as well as getting the invoice and medical records from the vet visit. Per my request, the volunteer looked over the invoice and noticed that in addition to the exam and blood work there was a charge for a $19.85 bag of carnivore care that was not given with the bearded dragon (attachment #3). The volunteer texted Austin about returning to get the carnivore care but he requested to ship instead (attachment #4). Austin then messaged me on Facebook about the bag of carnivore care and asked to ship. I agreed, sent my address, and he confirmed shipping on December 8, 2015 (attachment #5 & #6).

December 8, 2015 - Austin posted on Facebook looking for breeding groups of crested geckos or gargoyle geckos just 3 days after surrendering the bearded dragon to us due to an inability to pay for vet care (attachment #7).

December 9, 2015 - Sent three messages to Austin between the 9th and 10th asking him, or Juliah, to release the medical records from the vet so we could access them. No response (attachment #8).

December 10, 2015 - Called the vet, Northside Animal Hospital, to discuss why we were charged for services we did not authorize without a phone call before running our credit card. During the conversation, the receptionist informed me that Juliah had called the clinic demanding they refund the cost of the blood work ($136.30) because they did not agree to is. The clinic, knowing that Juliah had not paid for any of the services related to the bearded dragon, refused to issue the refund to her.

December 16, 2015 - Austin posts on Facebook again looking to sell or trade a leopard gecko (attachment #9).

January 5, 2016 - Austin posted in Reptile and Exotic Pet Classifieds of New England a sales post regarding slimming his collection where he mentions that a "1.0 unknown bearded dragon loves carnivore mix". Since the carnivore care had not arrived, I responded asking if it was the carnivore care that he stole from my rescue. He responds but after several requests does not provide a tracking number and marks the post as sold to hide it from view (attachment #10).

While I do not find stealing acceptable in any capacity, find it very disheartening that these individuals found it acceptable to steal and lie from a rescue after us assisting them and leads me to believe they may do worse to hobbyists, breeders, etc.
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2016, 08:40 AM   #2
MissFirefly
Attachment 5-8. Only edit is blacking out my address.
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2016, 08:41 AM   #3
MissFirefly
Attachments 9 and 10.
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2016, 08:56 AM   #4
MissFirefly
Have notified Austin of this thread.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:09 AM   #5
CombatWombat
I can also attest to Lauren's evidence provided above. I have been following both Austin and Juliah carefully on the Facebook classifieds for some time now after seeing some pretty questionable husbandry practices. Oddly enough after Lauren had taken the bearded dragon with severe MBD out of their care for claim that they could not afford vet care, they were still looking for leachianus geckos. Which is noted can be a pricey animal to own.
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2016, 10:53 AM   #6
Sprague222
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_...2dvRm5MVTJKYW8

Made this folder in google drive so I wouldn't flood the page with pictures. But Juliah had contacted me about buying one of my animals, ironically while they were working to surrender the animal in question. No money for a vet visit but can buy more animals? please..you can see from her nasty responses by the end what sort of people they are.

Old 01-11-2016, 11:42 AM   #7
nickolasanastasiou
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprague222 View Post
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_...2dvRm5MVTJKYW8

Made this folder in google drive so I wouldn't flood the page with pictures. But Juliah had contacted me about buying one of my animals, ironically while they were working to surrender the animal in question. No money for a vet visit but can buy more animals? please..you can see from her nasty responses by the end what sort of people they are.
Please attach the images. The BOI is supposed to serve as a permanent record and a Google Drive folder's contents are fluid.

Old 01-11-2016, 11:44 AM   #8
JCCS
These people are far too common. Among other factors, it was individuals such as this that influenced my decision to remove myself from the hobby.

Old 01-11-2016, 11:45 AM   #9
MissFirefly
After messaging him a link to the thread, got the following response (attached). Only edit is blocking out a profanity per the site's rules. I will post here if/when the money arrives.
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2016, 11:59 AM   #10
Sprague222
Currently at work but I'll try to get them uploaded to my computer when I get home.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!