Update on Savannah (Deficiency)? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-01-2007, 04:02 PM   #1
NocturnalPulse
Update on Savannah (Deficiency)?

As I have posted previously, I have two Savannah Monitors. My original concern was that the smaller of the two monitors stopped eating and showed signs of being very lethargic. Also when it moves, it seems to have a balance problem and will occasionally fall over. My original best guess was a possible deficiency, but I have found many other possibilities. Of those are: Improper heating gradients and humidity, Inner-ear disease(balance organ), Metabolic boneloss, Stress, Neurological damage, or starvation. I say starvation because for a period of 2 months or so, they were being cared for by my parents while I was away. Problem with that being they dont have experience with feeding them and the larger of the two is much more aggressive than the other. It will swallow the food given to it and then steal the food given to the smaller monitor. So for a while I couldn't get the small one to eat. But lately it has been showing signs of progress.

Someone suggested a possibility of insufficiently sized housing. I recently measured the terrarium and found it to be 5'L x 1'6"W x 2'H. Both monitors are a little short of 2' long, head to tail. They have lots of space to move around and don't seem to have any difficulty with moving about in the tank.
Two UV bulbs run the length of the tank. Temps have been measured to be around 75 degrees F on the cool end and about 85 degrees F on the warm end. Basking spot temp is around 110 degrees F. A heating cable on the underside runs the length of the tank and kicks on at night to warm the substrate slightly. The water/basking basking bowl has been moved to the warmer end of the tank to help assist in humidity. At the cooler end of the tank is a "waterfall" feature using a water pump to create moving water to further assist in humidity. More hiding spots have been created for comfort.

As previously mentioned, he/she seems to be making progress in its recovery. I have gotten it to eat two adult mice so far (not in one sitting). I have been dusting it with calcium and vitamin D. It has been much more active after basking. The only problems that remain is that it still seems to have a balance problem when it walks. Also I cannot feed it live mice anymore. It doesn't have enough coordination to hunt and kill it anymore. I have to wave a killed mouse in front of it to get it interested and then lay it down in front of him/her. It then sniffs at it a while before finally grabbing it and slowly eating it. There is an attached picture to show tank size. The monitor pictured is the larger one. The smaller is sleeping in the log. Comments greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2007, 10:25 PM   #2
Digby Rigby
Arrow More more more

Hello

The light hanging down in he middle is the basking lamp yes? If so move it over to one end of the enclosure to create a better heat gradient instead of the middle. Also you need more substrate maybe a foot deep. Dirt tends to work best or a mixture maybe of dirt and sand and other things. it needs to be able to hold a burrow and retain moisture without getting soggy. Also more hides throughout the enclosure. Maybe also instead of one large bulb for basking 2-3 45-50 watt bulbs in a row would be better. You can keep them closer to the animals without a risk of burns like a larger watt bulb. You can use logs also to allow them to go higher or lower to help them thermoregulate.

Digby Rigby balboa28279@mypacks.net

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!