ZOO MED REPTIBARK - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Consumer Reports

Notices

Consumer Reports Looking for, or want to leave feedback about a product? This is the place for that sort of info!

Old 04-14-2010, 07:55 PM   #1
pythonjim
ZOO MED REPTIBARK

I recently (2 months) started using zoo med repti bark in some of my hatchling enclosures to see how it would hold humidity and hold up with spot cleaning. 1 week in, I noticed little "bugs" running around on all of my animals.
At first I was horrified thinking I had a mite infestation but soon realized these tiny little bugs moved far too fast to be mites. I purchased all the bags of this stuff from the same store so...I decided to venture elsewhere and buy a bag of repti bark. The next bag had these tiny little bugs! Does anybody else have the same experience with this product and know what these creatures are?
jim macdonald aka pythonjim

Old 04-14-2010, 09:31 PM   #2
WingedWolf
Could they be springtails? See if they hop when you spray them with water or chase them.

If they ARE springtails, those are pretty harmless, and many people add them to naturalistic vivs deliberately. But springtails like really high moisture, so it would seem odd to find them in a bag of bark.

Are you certain they aren't some sort of mite? Not snake mites, of course, but there are MANY species of mites, most of which are harmless to the animals.
It does seem like they ought to be baking or otherwise taking steps to ensure that their bedding products don't contain insects, though--I wouldn't be impressed. You're not the first person to mention this issue.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:45 PM   #3
pythonjim
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWolf View Post
Could they be springtails? See if they hop when you spray them with water or chase them.

If they ARE springtails, those are pretty harmless, and many people add them to naturalistic vivs deliberately. But springtails like really high moisture, so it would seem odd to find them in a bag of bark.

Are you certain they aren't some sort of mite? Not snake mites, of course, but there are MANY species of mites, most of which are harmless to the animals.
It does seem like they ought to be baking or otherwise taking steps to ensure that their bedding products don't contain insects, though--I wouldn't be impressed. You're not the first person to mention this issue.
I fully agree, they should be kiln drying or sterilizing this product. I have discontinued use and contacted zoo med via email. Let's see what they have to say. Thanks for the response, I will research it further.
jim macdonald aka questionerjim

Old 04-14-2010, 09:47 PM   #4
pythonjim
Oh yeah, they dont hop or flee. They just run around nervously.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:33 AM   #5
Twizted Paths
They are nasty nasty little bugs & will infest your house plants. All the repti bbark seems to have them.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:01 AM   #6
Utta
I got the same problem with the coconut husk I use, but there like gnats :/ there small and fly. Are they harmful?

Old 04-17-2010, 11:30 PM   #7
LauraB
Tyler, those are probably fungus gnats; they're not harmful, but they are annoying and they can lay eggs in the substrate. Letting the substrate dry out a bit should help keep their numbers down.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:27 AM   #8
Utta
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraB View Post
Tyler, those are probably fungus gnats; they're not harmful, but they are annoying and they can lay eggs in the substrate. Letting the substrate dry out a bit should help keep their numbers down.
Bah. Darn gnats. I change the substrate a lot, but they keep commin back

Old 04-22-2010, 10:38 AM   #9
frillielover17
I have used the Repti Bark in the past and I can say I have never had an issue. Then again I bake/sterilize the substrates before I put them in anyway. I've learned never to trust the packaging of anything.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:21 AM   #10
dustinNMpythons
I tried reptibark and it seemed to keep good humidity and I didn't have any bugs in it that I know of but I decided to go to aspen that I got off of LLL reptile for a whole lot cheaper. I like the aspen better, it seems cleaner and absorbs better than the reptibark which is good because i can spot clean and take any yellow aspen out and clean out the poop while only changing it about once a month or as needed.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!