black racer - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Other Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-19-2011, 07:41 PM   #1
reptibreeder
Question black racer

I just caught a 5foot black racer (rat snake) it is so cool, can anyone tell me some good ways to take care of it

Old 05-19-2011, 09:21 PM   #2
TheFragginDragon
Moved to Other Snakes discussion forum

Old 05-20-2011, 07:47 AM   #3
MDC_Ophiuchus
There's not much out there about them because well....no one hardly keeps them because they're big, mean, fast, and common as dirt! My first inclination is to let it go.

They're a diurnal, active species that will eat mostly lizards, amphibians, insects, and small rodents. If you're hardbent on keeping it, I would suggest on a largest enclosure (75 gal +)that allows it plenty of space for cruising around. This isn't a species that likes to lounge around in a one spot waiting to ambush prey like a fat ole python or a viper. They like a actively hunt prey, so a lot of a space is a plus to prevent nose-rubbing and decrease stress. Likewise, plenty of hides and decorations is suggested.

May even provide some UV light since the species is diurnal, like a 2.0 bulb.

Again, not sure what to tell you on feeding. Don't know anyone who has kept racers with any regularity so I don't if they convert to mice readily or not.

Old 05-21-2011, 04:07 AM   #4
reptibreeder
you were right about them being mean, every time i get near it it freaks out, hisses and bites at any thing that gets near it

Old 05-21-2011, 08:06 AM   #5
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
can anyone tell me some good ways to take care of it

I see you found a easy way to take care of it.

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...06#post1282506

You might want to check KY laws.
Quote:

Section 5. Taking and Possessing Native Wildlife. (1) A person shall not hold native wildlife in captivity that was not legally taken or possessed. A person shall not buy or sell, offer to buy or sell, trade, or barter native wildlife or parts thereof, obtained from the wild.

(2) Except as specified in Section 2 of this administrative regulation and subsections (7) and (8) of this section, a person holding native wildlife in captivity shall apply for and obtain a permit prior to acquiring wildlife.

(3) A person permitted to rehabilitate native wildlife as specified in 301 KAR 2:075 shall not be issued a commercial or noncommercial captive wildlife permit.

(4) A commercial and noncommercial captive wildlife permit holder shall maintain accurate records for captive bred and wild-captured wildlife for five (5) years. Records shall be available for inspection by a department representative. Records shall include:

(a) For each captive bred animal:

1. Common and scientific name;

2. A certificate of origin, bill of sale, receipted invoice or evidence of legal acquisition from out of state;

3. Date of birth;

4. Date of each transaction related to the sale, purchase, trade, barter or gifting; and

5. The complete name, address, phone number and captive wildlife permit number of the person to whom the animal was sold, traded, bartered or gifted or from whom the animal was purchased or otherwise received.

(b) For each wild-captured animal:

1. Common and scientific name;

2. Date and location of capture from the wild or date when received or given as a gift;

3. Trapping or hunting license number of the individual obtaining the animal except for reptiles and amphibians; and

4. The complete name, address, phone number and captive wildlife permit number of the person to whom the animal was gifted or from whom the animal was received as a gift.

(5) Commercial captive wildlife permit.

(a) A commercial captive wildlife permit shall be required for persons selling, offering to sell, trading, or bartering native wildlife.

(b) A commercial captive wildlife permit shall be renewable annually from the date of issue.

(6) Noncommercial captive wildlife permits.

(a) A noncommercial captive wildlife permit shall be required for persons possessing native wildlife, but not selling, offering for sale, trading or bartering animals.

(b) A noncommercial captive wildlife permit shall be renewable three (3) years from the date of issue.

(7) Northern bobwhite.

(a) Fifty (50) or fewer Northern bobwhite may be possessed for personal use without a permit, provided the birds are not propagated or sold.

(b) Proof of purchase shall be retained as permission to possess.

(8) Amphibians and reptiles.

(a) Except as provided for in Section 2 of this administrative regulation and this subsection, captive wildlife permits are not required for persons taking or possessing up to five (5) individuals of each species of a native reptile or amphibian. Exception to taking or possessing five (5) individuals of each species:

1. No limit on snapping and smooth and spiny softshell turtles;

2. Fifteen (15) per night limit on bullfrogs; and

3. Possession limit of twenty-five (25) dusky salamanders (spring lizards) of the genus Desmognathus.

(b) There shall not be a limit on the number of individuals of each species possessed by a commercial or noncommercial captive wildlife permit holder, provided the permit holder does not possess more than five (5) wild-caught individuals of each species of amphibian or reptile.

(c) A captive wildlife permit shall not be required to hold reptiles with a color morphology that is distinctly different from the wild type of the same species of reptile.

(9) Transportation permits and certificate of veterinary inspection.

(a) Prior to entry into Kentucky, a transportation permit shall be obtained for all shipments of wildlife (native and exotic). A person shall be responsible for applying for a transportation permit if he or she:

1. Receives a shipment of wildlife;

2. Imports wildlife for his or her own use or possession; or

3. Transports wildlife into and through the state to a destination outside Kentucky.

(b) A copy of a valid transportation permit shall accompany all shipments of wildlife into Kentucky.

(c) An individual transportation permit shall be valid for one (1) shipment of wildlife.

(d) An annual transportation permit shall be valid for multiple wildlife shipments for one (1) year from the date of issue. An annual transportation permit holder shall:

1. Notify the department in writing of any changes or additions subsequent to the original application so that the permit may be amended prior to future wildlife importation; and

2. Notify the department by telephone Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. at least forty-eight (48) hours prior to each shipment of wildlife of the date of expected shipment, source of the shipment and the species and number being shipped.

(e) All shipments of wildlife, except for amphibians and reptiles, shall be accompanied by a certificate of veterinary inspection stating that the wildlife is free of symptoms of disease. A federal quarantine certificate may be substituted for the certificate of veterinarian inspection.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:19 PM   #6
reptibreeder
it says Im aloud to take a certian amount without a permit

Old 05-24-2011, 09:09 PM   #7
Dennis Hultman
Yeah, So?

Your not allowed to sell them. Your not that ignored and you know why the above was posted. You edited your sales ad because of what I wrote. Don't play dumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reptibreeder
- I have a 4-5 foot ratsnake, if anyone wants to buy tell me.
WARNING: AGGRESSIVE
make offer

Old 05-24-2011, 09:19 PM   #8
Dennis Hultman
OHHH, You also deleted it now before posting here. Well, I'm going to restore and lock it.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:36 PM   #9
reptibreeder
Im not selling it

Old 05-24-2011, 09:40 PM   #10
reptibreeder
and thats why, you put the post informing me that I cant sell it, and I thank you, because I didnt know it was illegle till you posted the info

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!