Sumatra Water and Black Throat Monitor cage build - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-07-2014, 08:37 PM   #1
Chris Wilkinson
Sumatra Water and Black Throat Monitor cage build

Sorry it’s been awhile since I posted here, and to a few members my water monitor and black throat are still alive and doing just fine.

It’s been 8 months since I started my combined cage build for my babies. I completed my basement remodel last summer and added a 20 by 28 two story addition to the back of our home. The basement room of the new additions is my reptile and music room. It has its own temperature control that I keep set at 80 degrees (you can get a work out just playing a guitar at that temp). The walls of the room are block walls 4 feet tall with above walls being 2x8 with an overall insulation rating of r45

Here where I’m at now:

All cages will be epoxy fiberglassed with resign and cloth inside. I’m focusing on the water monitor cage as it has become quite complex.

Water Monitor:
Cage 10”long by 7 feet wide by 7 feet tall with 28 inches of fill. All built with 2x4 framing, r18 insulation with a reflective heat shield over the insulation and ½ plywood sheeting.
One side has a 4.5 feet by 7 feet by 2 feet deep tank made with ¾ plywood.
I built (STEAM PUNK STYLE) 2.5 feet wide by 7 feet tall mangrove tree in the center from 500 individual slabs of ¾ plywood. It has custom made branches with wide areas built in for him to lie on. The back has four shelves (RETS STYLE DESIGN) that lead to a top basking area with four wired light units.
Lighting will be 3 T8 sun bulbs (BLUE). All ready wired in
Heating will be a 50/75 watt ceramic heat emitter already wired in

Black Throat:
Cage 9 feet long by 7 feet tall by 7 feet wide with 28 inches of fill. All built with 2x4 framing and ½ plywood sheeting, r18 insulation with a reflective heat shield over the insulation and ½ plywood sheeting
One side has a 3 feet wide by 3 feet long by 12 inched deep tank.
He will have a large single tree in the center made in the same fashion at the water monitor cage, with the back designed with a (RETS STACK) that lead to a top basking area with four wired light units.
Lighting will be a 3 T8 sun bulbs (BLUE). All ready wired in
Heating will be a 50 watt ceramic heat emitter already wired in

Still got a way to go but I try to put at least three hour a night and all day Saturday.

I’ve take picture from the start of the floors to where I am today. Post soon as I figure out how to get them loaded.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:29 PM   #2
Chris Wilkinson
SUMATRA WATER AND BLACK THROAT MONITOR CAGE BUILD UP_DATE

WATER MONITOR CAGE:
Cage complete currently applying round trim to smooth out wall for fiberglassing and applying fiberglass bondo to the central tree, and all rough surfaces to ensure fiberglass bonding. I'm currently purchasing the fiberglass cloth (roll), RESIN and hardener. I will say the off gas on the fiberglass bondo is far worse than expected as it took over one week for it to off gas.

BLACK THROAT CAGE:
Cage 95% completed working central tree and soaking tank. I will begin trim out and fiberglass bondo work in two weeks.

I've moved to a small (CADET) wall mounted heater/built in thermostat in order to have enough capacity to keep my temp stable

I had to make a quick tank to move them out of the reptile room while I Fiberglass bondo and fiberglass cloth the cages. Off gases are too high to keep them in the same room even with a high capacity fan to vent the room. Now I'm trying to get my temp right to keep them healthy.

Take care. I have a complete sent of photos from start to finish with my notes on what I would have differnetly had I known what i do now.

take care chris wilkinson,

ANYONE IN ALASKA CARE TO SEE WHAT I'AM DOING JUST DROP ME A PM AND YOU CAN COME OVER AND TAKE A LOOK AND GET A COLD BEER AS I MOVE THROUGH THIS PROCESS ANY GOOD IDEAS WILL BE TAKEN INTO CONSIDERATION.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:40 AM   #3
allreptiles1966
I'd love to visit the Matsu area. Did you get pics of the BT set up?

I'm getting ready to do one myself.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:02 AM   #4
bigjej
Photos?

Old 01-28-2015, 04:26 PM   #5
varanusdw
Photos?

How are you going to achieve a proper basking temp area with only a ceramic heat emitter (I never use those with monitors) and T8 lighting tubes?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!