How to deal with a "runner" GTP hatchling? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-11-2014, 05:44 PM   #1
Charis
How to deal with a "runner" GTP hatchling?

One of our neonate GTPs has always been a bit of a pain to feed, striking and then immediately dropping the mouse over and over and requiring around 15 to 20 minutes or more of fairly aggressive tease feeding before eventually deciding to swallow the mouse. That was doable and it ate for me 3 times in that fashion but has developed into what Greg Maxwell's book describes as a runner, he will still strike but also attempts to bolt any direction away from the mouse and I have not been able to get him to eat in the last 44 days. What do you all recommend I try?

Thanks!

Old 10-13-2014, 01:47 PM   #2
EmeraldBoid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charis View Post
One of our neonate GTPs has always been a bit of a pain to feed, striking and then immediately dropping the mouse over and over and requiring around 15 to 20 minutes or more of fairly aggressive tease feeding before eventually deciding to swallow the mouse. That was doable and it ate for me 3 times in that fashion but has developed into what Greg Maxwell's book describes as a runner, he will still strike but also attempts to bolt any direction away from the mouse and I have not been able to get him to eat in the last 44 days. What do you all recommend I try?

Thanks!
When are you feeding? Time of day? Have you tried leaving prey overnight? Have you tried offering live prey? How long are you waiting between feeding trials?

Old 10-13-2014, 02:24 PM   #3
Charis
I've been waiting around 5 to 7 days between attempts. Have tried mid day, evening and late at night, he seems less rocket like during the day, so I was planning on trying mid day next time. Have tried live once. Have left prey overnight as well.

Old 10-13-2014, 02:29 PM   #4
EmeraldBoid
How late at night? In these cases, I would wait until about midnight, sometimes 1am; however long it takes for the house to be dark and quiet. When you achieve that they will usually take with a little teasing. Remember, use the prey item to quickly tap at the side of the neck and the coils. You do not need to stop this teasing until the animal hides its head.

Old 10-13-2014, 03:39 PM   #5
AbsoluteApril
Good advise above. Also, are you heating up the prey? (when using f/t) Not sure about GTPs but would assume it might work, for ATBs that are like this, sometimes superheating the prey item up helps (hold next to a lightbulb or use a hair dryer on it for a very short time, like 15-30 seconds). You don't want to heat it up so much that it will explode when grabbed but heat it up more than normal. Last trick would be to try scenting with a lizard.
Good luck! It can be so frustrating!

Old 10-13-2014, 04:00 PM   #6
Charis
Yes, I have a hair dryer specifically for these guys, as two of them a very picky about exactly how hot the F/T has to be but eat well and easily as long as it's the right temp. Temp doesn't seem matter a great deal to this one though.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!