FaunaTopSites change - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 12-24-2002, 12:53 AM   #1
WebSlave
FaunaTopSites change

Anyone here whom has links on the FaunaTopSites page will probably notice a dramatic increase in the numbers being logged. My original intent with that page was to have it give an accurate accounting of the popularity of a site. Some other topsites will only log a hit for each unique IP address that logs in on the site per 24 hour period. In other words, if you log into
FaunaClassifieds.com and spend all day there browsing all of the threads, you will give that site exactly the same weighting as when you logged onto KingSnarks.com, only looked at their main page, then went elsewhere. While this might be an fairly accurate accounting of the number of people visiting a site, it in no way represents the POPULARITY of the site in comparison with others.

Anyway, when Danni Wilson set up his TopSites program for me, he did implement what I had asked him to, but it was not displaying accurate numbers. Apparently there was a caching problem taking place where only approximately one third of the actual hits were being tallied in the counts. I had other things to worry about (like now is any different?) so I didn't worry about it too much. Until yesterday when someone else brought it to my attention and asked about it.

Apparently, Danni was able to correct that problem and now it should be displaying a much more accurate accounting of the popularity of the various sites listed on FaunaTopSites.

Anyway, this is all for fun, and might even be interesting for a lot of people. If you don't have your site listed there, maybe you should give it a whirl. You might be surprised to find out how often your site is actually being visited.

Please note that you MUST put the code from the FaunaTopSites listings onto every page that you want to be counted in the totals. If you use SSI, this will probably be the easiest way to do this.

Take care.

Old 12-25-2002, 09:06 PM   #2
HerpVenue
What about for people who refresh?

I know you said it is not unique hits. Which I already knew...because there is no way my site is getting 300 unique hits a day. My question is...is this 250 -325 visits per day I am getting? Or is this some nut hitting refresh that many times?

Old 12-25-2002, 10:15 PM   #3
WebSlave
It is everytime the FaunaTopSites logo is displayed. If you have multiple pages and the logo is on each page, it counts as a hit.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!