Bad Guy Major League Exotic Pets - Allen Both - Reptile Kingdom - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 10-22-2018, 03:01 PM   #1
JRLongton
Major League Exotic Pets - Allen Both - Reptile Kingdom

I, Jason R. Longton, swear that what I relate below is the truth and factually accurate.

Allen Both of Reptile Kingdom is now operating as Major League Exotic Pets and just as crooked and deceptive as ever.

On October 7, 2018, at the New England Reptile Expo in Manchester, NH, I bought what was purported to be a baby hog island boa constrictor from Allen Both, the owner of Major League Exotic Pets for $175. I noted that the poor little guy didn't look well but was then given every explanation imaginable, he was in shed, he hadn't been fed recently, he was dehydrated, he'd be fine, lies, lies, lies.

Foolishly, I determined to buy the poor creature and do my best by him. Six days later the boa was dead. It wasn't that he was "in shed" or hadn't eaten recently. He was extremely ill, contagious, and dying. That so many excuses were offered just demonstrates that Allen knew that the creature was sick but cared more about making a quick buck than doing right by a customer and the animal.

To be perfectly clear, Allen sold me a dying animal, knowing full well that it was extremely sick and would soon be dead. Worse, he knew it was highly contagious and could transmit the illness to the rest of my pets. He just didn't care.

I had kept the boa in a brand new PVC custom built enclosure (from Animal Plastics) with a new radiant heat panel. Now that a sick animal was kept and died therein, it can no longer be used! I lost an enclosure, heating device, $175, and placed all my other animals at risk, not to mention the emotional toll of watching a pet I had come to care for die slowly and painfully. But Allen made a couple of bucks!

I called Allen, and explained what had happened. He had the nerve to offer me a replacement animal! As though animals are replaceable! I told him I wouldn't even touch an animal of his, but considering all that I had lost, it would be appropriate to at least give me a refund for the boa constrictor. Allen initially balked but when I pointed out his atrocious reputation he agreed. He made a nice show of getting the last four of my credit card and told me over the phone that the refund was being processed right then. I got off the phone with him and immediately called my credit card company to verify that the refund was made. I wasn't at all surprised to learn that no refund had been initiated. He had lied yet again! The man has no scruples at all.

It should be pointed out that this was at the New England Reptile Expo in Manchester, NH. This crook was handing out diseased dying animals to potential customers who would put their hands all over these sickly creatures only to then go to the next table and handle other breeders healthy creatures! Were I a breeder I wouldn't show my animals at any event that allowed Allen's festering table of infectious pathogens to be set up.

Allen is a menace. He has a long record of lying, selling sick animals, spreading illnesses to other peoples animals, and shady practices. What some people will do for a buck.

I imagine that the reputation of the Reptile Kingdom was so ruined that he needed to change the name to Major League Exotic Pets. Seems the cat is starting to come out of the bag though.

If you care about the health and well being of your animals, and your own, STAY AWAY from Major League Exotic Pets and Allen Both.

Old 10-22-2018, 03:43 PM   #2
Deborah Stewart
Can you post the vet and or necropsy report?

Old 10-22-2018, 06:58 PM   #3
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRLongton View Post
I noted that the poor little guy didn't look well
You had a chance to examine the animal and it appeared ill to you.

Quote:

Foolishly, I determined to buy the poor creature
It appeared ill to you so you purchased it.

Quote:
contagious
How do you know it was contagious?

Quote:
Now that a sick animal was kept and died therein, it can no longer be used!.
That is just silly. The cage can be disinfected. Do you think hospital rooms are used only once?

Quote:
He had the nerve to offer me a replacement animal
You have shown no proof of why this animal died, no pictures, for all we know, or the seller knows, it could have been a husbandry issue of yours. Yet you say he decided to offer a replacement. If so, that seems like it is good customer service.
As far as a refund, perhaps he too is waiting on a vet report or necropsy finding.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:16 PM   #4
Robert Walker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
That is just silly. The cage can be disinfected. Do you think hospital rooms are used only once?
^^^This.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:57 PM   #5
April Homich
It's awful to get a sick snake and to loose one. That's rough, but honestly buying something that looks sick at a show isn't helping - it's just supporting bad sellers. I am also curious what the snake was diagnosed with, and what testing was used to confirm it. It sounds like you're assuming something viral if you're saying it's highly contagious. If he's selling snakes that tested positive for something, that information (along with the proof of testing) should be shared.

For the cage, disinfect it thoroughly and stick it in storage for a while. Then disinfect again before use. For quarantine animals, I always prefer tubs. The setup for new arrivals should be very simple and easy to disinfect, or to even throw out if needed. Anything that comes into my place I treat as if it's sick. Gloves, working with them last, etc. A proper quarantine will keep your collection safe.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:07 PM   #6
ReptileKIngdom
Just to clear the air. We opened a retail location which is called Major League Exotic Pets and is located in Jackson NJ. We initially kept our previous company reptile kingdom as a separate wholesale company however we are transitioning to the new name.

Second I spoke with this gentleman twice on the phone. The first time he had a concern that the boa was not feeding. I had no issues with any of these baby hog islands feeding nor any of the other customers I have sold them too. I still have 1 left which is in perfect health in our shop.

He then called several days later stating the snake had died. After learning of his setup I offered a replacement animal which I thought was more than fair. Especially considering all live stock sales at expos are final and it also states this on the receipt of purchase. At expos we allow the customers as much time as they need to examine the animals and determine if they would like to purchase it. We do not bring or offer sick animals at shows however if something goes wrong we try our best to make it right. In this case the customer was quite irritated on the phone so I promptly returned his credit card payment after confirming the last 4 of his card number. I did this to rectify the problem even though there is no vet report. No proof of death. No necropsy. I just tried to make this right for the disgruntled customer. As far as contagious goes, our animals are healthy. We have no issues and there are no issues with the remaining hog island we have in stock or the others we have sold to regular customers.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:16 PM   #7
ReptileKIngdom
Here is attached receipt of refund. This was done while I was on the phone with the customer. There is no sensitive info as only the last 4 of the card number show.
Attached Images

Old 10-22-2018, 09:20 PM   #8
ReptileKIngdom
Pic of hogs
Attached Images

Old 10-22-2018, 10:46 PM   #9
tlmoon
Snakes can die, especially babies....it's unfortunate and upsetting. But it doesn't mean that someone sold you a "dying" animal. Credit card transactions aren't necessarily instantaneous - have you checked again? Sometimes things don't post until the next business day.

Of course it's traumatic to get a new pet and have it die. But, you are posting things without proof - is the snake really 'contagious'? Where is the vet report? Why didn't you take an animal that was "unwell" at purchase to a vet (if you didn't)? Surely you know a cage doesn't have to be thrown out in this situation.

This just seems like a way out proportion response to the situation, considering the seller did try to make it right. Do you have some kind of past with this seller? This seems personal somehow.

Although I don't necessarily agree with your approach here, I am sorry to hear about the snake passing. It is difficult to lose an animal.

Old 10-23-2018, 12:47 AM   #10
LauraB
Jason, as already requested, please post whatever vet receipts and proof you have to confirm that the snake was dying and "highly contagious". The drama over the tank was a bit over the top considering you can clean, disinfect, store and keep all equipment for later and considering YOU made the decision to buy a snake that did not look healthy and then introduced it to whatever collection you have.

I do not doubt that the snake died soon after your purchase, but you, and only you, made the decision to buy it, supporting someone you already claimed had a poor reputation.

Please provide supporting documents relative to the snake's illness and "contagious" status.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!