Asian Vine..... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-15-2005, 07:16 PM   #1
Amos
Question Asian Vine.....

My Asian Vine just dropped 8 babies and I have no idea how exactly to care for them.I could find very little info on caring for babies.Any ideas or info would be great! This was very unexpected and these are the first Asian Vines I have ever kept.

Thanks in advance

Trey Small

Old 01-15-2005, 07:26 PM   #2
cthulhu77
No problem...we have raised dozens of these before.

first question: how is the female(mother) looking? be sure to keep her in a humid environment, lots of uv light, and wait about 5-7 days before offering her any lizards for food. She should bulk up quickly, but this is going to take at least 14-20 anoles in short order.

babies: keep individually...large deli cups ( about 8-10 inches diameter) will work for the short term...once again, fairly humid...and uv light. These snakes will eat each other, so you do need to separate them. A simple hole drilled in opposite sides of the container can hold a dowel as a perch for them... feeding? Well, you are going to have to find someone with house geckos or small anoles...luckily, these should be available easily over the net...any of you readers in florida want to send up some lizardas????

Good luck with your new young hatch...they are great little animals!!

greg

Old 01-15-2005, 08:34 PM   #3
eatinmachine
I got mine from a lady who said that I was the only one who didn't buy a pregnant one o darn. Well you set them up in a cage with water at the bottom and guppies or another small feeder fish is what I have read and have been told works good from what I hear.

Old 01-15-2005, 09:01 PM   #4
cthulhu77
I have never had one take small feeder fish (would be an odd prey item for an arboreal animal?)...usually just small lizards and frogs...

Old 01-15-2005, 11:31 PM   #5
Amos
Talking Thanks Greg...

I have them all set up.The female looks good.Not too skinny.I will try to feed her in the next week.I do have a good supply of Anoles but most are larger than the babies could take.I will have to order some smaller ones if I can find them.I just bought these snakes and the guy who had them had no clue she was gravid.I must give all credit of breeding to Vinny from Off the Ark Exotics.

Thanks Again

Trey Small

Old 01-16-2005, 07:45 AM   #6
cthulhu77
If you can't get anoles small enough, you might want to try house geckos...they usually come in small enough...

Old 01-16-2005, 07:52 AM   #7
*Pumilio@Home*
Im in south Fl and I will keep my eyes open, if I can find ample babies I will send them to you for only the cost of shipping charges. The only problem is the Anole eggs hatch out in mid summer, so it might be hard to find really small ones. I feed the adults to my Chameleons, so I never use pestacides around the house. I'll keep my eyes open, I'm out of work , so anything to keep me occupied is better than nothing, even if it's digging around in the bushes for anoles.

Rob Carpenter

Old 01-17-2005, 01:39 PM   #8
eatinmachine
Try the fish the lady said they will eat them when babies like mad I'm not sure but when I take mine out he goes right for the cage containing fish(every other cage he ignores doesn't even pay any attention to his ownor mice or other snakes nothing but fish). I don't want to try because I'm not sure if he will move back to lizards.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!