Miniature Couperi? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-15-2015, 03:53 PM   #11
bobassetto
Yo......this spring I can take a ride, I'm retired and would have no problem coming down ..... Do a little snaking, little snake talking..... Having fun.....how's the senior citizen females down there???
Bob assetto

Old 02-15-2015, 09:56 PM   #12
bmwdirtracer
Wow, I'm truly sorry to hear that a couperi guy of your long standing reputation went through such a set of experiences.

I'd like to suggest that putting your excellent male with your older females might give you (a) access to those genes, and (b) a joy, when you need it most.

After being blue, you get to shed, and start with a fresh shiny skin.

You're just now thinking about your FIRST divorce? Hell, you may have me by just a few years on age, but I've had two divorces. (The second one, I sincerely regret, but life happens)

By all means, I'd be honored to meet you. I leave for work about 11 and 1/2 hrs before I get home. And I live in a tiny house with 5 cats - and 5 couperi in enormous cages. So, I don't do much herping these days, but 6 foot Black Rat snakes are all over around here. (Not as pure black as the northern ones, though)

I don't bring other snakes in the house much, although I borrowed an obsoleta from the wild for long enough to teach my Hawaiian cats to stay away from Snakes.

Hmmmm.....my 7 year, 7 foot gorgeous black female doesn't have a valid boy available right now this winter. She's big enough to eat my 5 foot '12 boy, so I figured I'd give them 'til next year.

Bob, (or Tim?): I believe we would be within all USFWS parameters if we allowed our critters to breed, no money involved? All my animals are permitted by USFWS, and every one of my documents is in order.

Come visit, we'll put your boy with the big girl for a week, and I will call you when she lays eggs, and you can take them and incubate correctly, and then share the offspring with me. I don't currently have the exacting temps I'd want for incubation - next year, I will.

Um, the senior citizen girls here are all yours; I've never had children, so I'm still after the youngster 40 year olds!

By now, we're probably off-topic, huh?

Chris
bmwdirtracer@att.net

Old 02-16-2015, 07:10 PM   #13
bobassetto
Talking about women is never off topic.....& this would be # two....... What looked like a HOMERUN.....is rapidly curving foul...... ."...stepchildren can be an obstacle to a relationship...anyhow my ill keep shopping and yes....breeding loans are legal.......where are you located geographically???????.....il explain what happened to my holdback subadult indigos while I was being treated ..... My stepdaughter talked my wife into doing something unthinkable...... Before my herp friends found out......broke my heart and for a while my spirit.......
Bob

Old 02-17-2015, 09:17 PM   #14
bmwdirtracer
Bob, I sent you a PM....have you received it?

Chris

Old 04-03-2015, 08:50 PM   #15
dumboa
Well, I can tell you that sometimes Robert Bruce maint. feeds his snakes for some time. He will openly tell you this at the shows and such. Im not knocking him, just stating facts. My female I got from Vic Herrick was very well started, I did not like the idea of a year or 2 year old snake from Bruce being so small, at the show, so I didnt get one. IDK, to each their own I guess.

Old 04-04-2015, 05:41 PM   #16
tim brophy
In my opinion, maintenance feeding a voracious species like an indigo is not a good idea. I would be concerned it would remain small. But I really do not know this to be a fact. However, why gamble on a under-sized snake? I agree and would buy the one that is well started.

Old 04-04-2015, 05:46 PM   #17
dumboa
I agree, that is why I passed on the offer. I'm not here to bad mouth him, I know he is a respected member of the community and I do know he LOVES the Indigo. I just don't agree with maintenance feeding, at all.

Old 04-04-2015, 07:05 PM   #18
bmwdirtracer
I also agree completely --and I own 4 of Robert's snakes. Certainly, they are now catching up to their potentials (2 are '12 snakes, 2 are '13 snakes), but they were all very small for their age, when I received them. The '13 snakes were ~7 months when I got them; the '12 snakes were a year old.

I have been feeding them as much as they will eat, since I got them. For any given age, the '13 snakes are bigger than the '12's, because they've been on an unfettered feeding routine since a younger age.

Only time will tell, but truly, I expect that the '13 snakes will end up larger than the '12's, because they are catching up to them quite quickly.

Robert has also told me that he maintenance feeds, to prevent needing many larger cages.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:07 AM   #19
Bobby O
If you want to keep them as pets, it's fine. Goofy maintenance feeding theories or not, you can prolly keep them alive. If you want healthy robust breedable animals, good luck with the inbred Easterns that are available out there! Even with perfect scalation, many have heart issues, growth stunting, etc... The scrupulous breeders have stopped breeding them for this very reason. My worthless 2 cents

Old 04-07-2015, 06:51 AM   #20
tim brophy
Unfortunately, you are correct. Most good breeders have walked away.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!