emerald and carpet python - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-09-2009, 01:57 AM   #1
arthur08
emerald and carpet python

does anyone kow if a emereald tree boa nad a jungle carpet python be kept together in one habitat?

Old 08-10-2009, 01:59 AM   #2
pwargcm
im new here, but not to snakes. and i would never suggest cohabbing any snakes together unless for breeding purposes by an experienced hobbyist. i dont know what others would say, but just research cohabbing and i bet youll find your answer.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:16 AM   #3
bigdogg
Well I don't suggest that at all. One they are 2 different kinds of snakes. One a Boa and another a Python. 2 Then come from completely different parts of the world. One South America another Australia. I don't like keeping any 2 snakes that aren't breeding in the same enclosure unless it is temporary (cage cleaning). But if you were I would make sure they are the same species or at least from the same continent.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:33 AM   #4
arthur08
ok thanks guys

Old 08-10-2009, 02:47 PM   #5
Will0W783
Yeah, definitely don't put them together. The emerald needs a very high humidity environment, around 70-80% all the time, and the carpet needs only 60-65%, like a ball python. You'd end up with a carpet with an RI or blister disease, or a severely dehydrated emerald. IF they didn't fight. If you search around on forums there are many many threads on the topic of keeping snakes together and it is highly discouraged. Even keeping two snakes of the same species together is a bad idea. People have had snakes eat each other, or cause expensive and painful injuries fighting. Carpet pythons are fairly easy to keep, and generally hardy, but if you do not have a good level of experience keeping snakes I do NOT recommend an emerald. They are delicate snakes that are even more susceptible to poor husbandry that other boids. I have a female LTC emerald that I lucked out with. The guy I bought her from had her from a hatchling and she is docile, healthy, and has a great appetite. But she did not eat for a month when I first got her. Emeralds are particularly susceptible to regurgitation and once they start, they often don't stop. A simple one-time regurg from slightly off temps can result in the death of an otherwise healthy emerald because the snake will continue to puke even after the temps have been corrected. Since you asked if an emerald could be kept with a carpet python, I think you would do well to wait until you have researched a LOT more on both species. I'm not trying to offend you, I just don't want to see you bite off more than you can chew. I firmly believe that anyone can keep any kind of reptile as long as they have done their research and are diligent and careful. Best of luck with your herp decisions!

Old 08-10-2009, 03:48 PM   #6
arthur08
ok thanks i had my emerald for about a yr i just got a jungle python but i wont be putting them together thanks man

Old 08-10-2009, 04:02 PM   #7
Will0W783
Oh cool How is your emerald doing? They are fabulous, aren't they? My Esmeralda is my pride and joy. BTW, I'm not a man..lol.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:14 PM   #8
arthur08
is doing good im getting ready to make it a huge cage i thing 5ft wide 7ft tal n 2ft deep
so hopefully this wk

Old 08-10-2009, 10:00 PM   #9
Will0W783
Out of what? That will be an impressive cage- lucky emerald. Mine is in the Exo-terra 18x18x24 vented terrarium and seems to be thriving. Two perfect sheds, voracious appetite, regular shits.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!